Where do you get reliable builders? (West London)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do you get reliable builders? (West London)

I found websites like ratedpeople mybuilder etc to be a great source of builders who would never get a job through word of mouth. Most of them demand money upfront and once it is paid provide a choice of accepting rubbish job or losing the deposit. If you pay per day then the job will take forever to complete etc. Others are professional quoters who pocket half the money and hire cheap subcontractors. Where do you guys find hard-working builders for reasonable price?
    I know that asking around is the best source but I do not know many people having recently relocated to London.

Looking at it from the other side - builders in London often have trouble getting paid hence the demand for cash up front.

A recommend is the best way or try and find a tradesman who lives locally - look out for their van - unfortunately most are priced out of the capital these days.

My carpenter working in SW14 actually lives well north of the river but finds payment antic from the predominantly Jewish community hard to deal with so he works the area he was bought up in - lucky for me!

No offence meant to any religious groups.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Drive around the area (or nearby cheaper, perhaps long-term resident) areas, in the evening and look for vans on driveways for self-employed tradesmen. See where they were trained.

I have family in SW London and areas of semis with driveways not in the grand areas (ie where people who want a house not a status bought) seem to have more than their fair share of tradesmen. Visit your Local 1930s speculative owner-occupied (no businesses in rented property) tudorbethan or 1970s estate?

I have a suspicion that savvy Londoners live just outside the City Boundary still in Zone 4 to get the better schools and avoid the London Mayor taxes.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

I can recommend a number of builders to you. Send me an e-mail with the type of works you're looking to do.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Just double checking - I've not yet received any e-mail.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X