Planning consent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning consent

My question is if you Purchase the freehold of your flat do you still have to gain permission for structural changes or changes to the appearance of the flat
    Thanks

Assuming the flat is in England or Wales.

Do you mean you, individually have the freehold of the whole property part of which is your flat or do you mean that the lessees have grouped together to form a comapny to buy the freehold or do you mean a freehold flat (which is very rare)?

Largely irrelevant though.

Flats do not have Permitted Development rights under the Planning system. So any changes you wish to make (an extension, changing the windows) are subject to seeking and gaining Planning Consent.

This aside structural changes along with alteration to the electrics, drainage, thermal element etc... will also require Building Regulation approval.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Demise of the loft
      Affinity
      We are three leaseholders sharing the freehold of a property (which is divided into three flats).
      The recent buyer of the top flat asked for the loft to be demised to her (in exchange for her being responsible for the repairs of the roof/gutters). We have amended the lease and demised the loft...
      19-12-2017, 21:33 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      ram
      This thread is about getting nothing for the loft and nothing for the roof, and the concequences of giving everything away for free, and having only one person / leasholder having sole responsibility for the roof, and being unable to afford a new roof when the time comes.
      Your arguments have validity,
      15-01-2018, 18:47 PM
    • Reply to Demise of the loft
      Vassena
      I believe what RAM says is incorrect.

For residential properties, if the lease of the upstairs flat now includes the loft space and roof (owning the roof de facto means you own the airspace above as per Davies v Yadegar 1990), then the Freeholders have no right to ask for a premium for...
      15-01-2018, 10:37 AM
    • another roof terrace dilema
      boss1234
      Hi there,

I know there have been several posts on this before but each case poses a new problem.

I puchased a flat 4 months ago with share of freehold with 3 other flats. It is on the first floor of a house conversion, with the main bedroom stepped down at the rear of the property...
      12-01-2018, 14:21 PM
    • Reply to another roof terrace dilema
      leaseholder64
      Planning permission usually has about a two year time limit, although you need to look at the actual decision to find this out.

If you believe the roof is now overloaded, you could raise a building control violation report with the council.

The entity (company or tenants in...
      12-01-2018, 14:40 PM
    • Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      kmac110
      Hi,

I have share of freehold and a long lease over the ground floor flat and the front garden.
      The Freehold covers 2 leases - the ground floor and the upstairs flat.
      The lease for the flat upstairs covers the complete 1st floor.

I'm looking to build a basement extension...
      03-01-2018, 15:31 PM
    • Reply to Share of Freehold (House converted into 2 Flats) - looking to add a basement
      MisterB
      and if they agree IN WRITING then make sure your building engineered calculations include additional weight due to potential loft conversion...
      10-01-2018, 07:56 AM
    • Boundary wall question
      Neil2011
      Hi
      I own an end of terrace house. The pervious owners had put an extension onto the side which sits right on the boundary line with the house next door. This is a semi detached property. The house next door had attached a basic lean to garage/shed onto the extension wall. The house is undergoing...
      08-01-2018, 10:59 AM
    • Reply to Boundary wall question
      Neil2011
      Hello again,

Many thanks. I am unaware of any plans to reinstate a structure. Builders are in there at the moment. I just wanted to clarify my position should any works start. Am I correct in assuming that two months notice is required and then I have 14 days to respond to that notice?...
      09-01-2018, 15:37 PM
    • Reply to Boundary wall question
      mk1fan
      If the wall is wholly on your land then the neighbour has no right to use it. The lean to may have established a right (although if it was just a shed then It wouldn't) but as that has now been removed it would be down to your neighbour to prove they had consent to have 'enclosed' upon it or some other...
      09-01-2018, 13:40 PM
    Working...
    X