Planning consent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning consent

My question is if you Purchase the freehold of your flat do you still have to gain permission for structural changes or changes to the appearance of the flat
    Thanks

Assuming the flat is in England or Wales.

Do you mean you, individually have the freehold of the whole property part of which is your flat or do you mean that the lessees have grouped together to form a comapny to buy the freehold or do you mean a freehold flat (which is very rare)?

Largely irrelevant though.

Flats do not have Permitted Development rights under the Planning system. So any changes you wish to make (an extension, changing the windows) are subject to seeking and gaining Planning Consent.

This aside structural changes along with alteration to the electrics, drainage, thermal element etc... will also require Building Regulation approval.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• planning appeal
      ll2013
      hi all,

I would like some advice.
      I put in a planning application on my bungalow to create side dormers. Due to the back having two rooms the rear windows are in the far corners of each room. This wasn't too much of a problem as the sides had fixed, obscure windows. However, due to...
      26-07-2017, 19:43 PM
    • Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
      jaymondo
      Under Part 3 of the GPDO - Change of Use

Class M allows for

(a) a change of use of a building from—

iii) a mixed use combining use as a dwellinghouse with—

(aa) a use as a betting office or pay day loan shop, or

(bb) a use falling...
      21-07-2017, 16:57 PM
    • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
      Tipper
      As you are creating additional dwellings I would suspect full planning permission is required.
      23-07-2017, 10:24 AM
    • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
      pilman
      Since this Class of development requires prior approval it seems logical to seek approval for what you are proposing.
      The LPA will either accept that this falls within Class M or not.
      21-07-2017, 19:33 PM
    • Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
      Myohmy
      Hi All,

I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
      18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
    • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
      Myohmy
      Thank you Al,

I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
      19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
      flyingfreehold
      bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
      19-07-2017, 03:17 AM
      nukecad
      Your initial problem seems to be that neither of you knows where the boundry actually is.

Without knowing that then you can't know if the wall is on the boundry, on their land, or on your land.
      (The same goes for any foundations).

Also the surveyor in any disputed PW...
      18-07-2017, 14:43 PM
      MrShed
      I'm not an expert in this area, but, I read the situation very differently to you. I feel they have chanced their arm and are now playing the "lawyer" card to try and bluff you into backing off. I dont think they know anything you dont, in fact I suspect they know very little about the law...
      18-07-2017, 07:17 AM
    • New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
      MisterB
      a couple of years ago my daughter bought a small end of terraced house. within the legal pack it mentioned that the adjoin terraced houses had 'access' down the side of her house and across the back - which isnt unusual and isn't a problem. there was no vehicular access as the side of the house was...
      08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
    Working...
    X