Party Wall Act - are the downstairs neighbours an Adjoining Owner?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mk1fan
    Firstly, there's no requirement to appoint two surveyors. An Agreed Surveyor would have been an acceptable choice.

    Regarding your notice. Assuming you're inserting structural beams in to the party wall to support the additional floor. My view would be that as you are altering the structural conditon of the wall and adding to the load it needs to bear then notice will be required in order to protect your position.

    Leave a comment:

  • Party Wall Act - are the downstairs neighbours an Adjoining Owner?

    I am a part-time developer, developing a first floor maisonette and have received both planning consent and building control (full plan) approval for a loft conversion.
    I served notice on the occupiers/owners of the g-floor flat beneath mine and the g & 1st-floor flats on either side. 5 notices in all.
    The four either side approved, G-floor occupants dissented, so we both appointed surveyors as required. Their surveyor is now saying he thinks the Act does not apply to them / us because the party wall has to separate my property from theirs and it does not. They own the lower portion of the Party Wall, us the upper meaning its not a party structure in respect of us/them. He says the only party structure between us/them is the floor/ceiling and we are not touching that.
    I disagree. The Party Wall Act says:
    “adjoining owner” and “adjoining occupier” respectively mean any owner and any occupier of land, buildings, storeys or rooms adjoining those of the building owner
    if we are proposing notifiable work to a party wall (we are) then we have to serve notice on all adjoining owners according to the Act.
    Therefore, I believe the notice we served on the g-floor occupants is valid. Am I right?

Latest Activity


  • Dispute over boundary land
    by cazamoran
    This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
    Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
    09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
  • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by Always Problems
    I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
    09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
  • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by AKRS
    Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
    29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Always Problems
    In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
    09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
  • Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

    There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
    07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by pilman
    The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

    The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
    08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
    08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Tipper
    It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
    Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

    You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
    08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
    by Tipper
    No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

    We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
    06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
  • Building Regulations Certificate
    by kennyj52
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
    I currently rent out 2 properties and own
    01-05-2020, 12:27 PM