Building rear extension beyond permitted development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building rear extension beyond permitted development

I live in a mid terraced house and planning to do rear extension beyond 3 metres (permitted development) due to large family residing in the house.

According to council guideline rear extension of more than 3 metres is not permitted development for mid terraced house and is unlikely to be granted.

Is there any exemption to this rules or does council allow rear extension beyond permitted development under certain exceptional circumstances? If they accept my application then will it affect loft conversion within permitted development if needed in future?

If they refuse my application, can I make an appeal and if I do what is the chance of success?

Any suggestions in this regards will be highly appreciated

You'll need to apply for full Planning Consent rather than a certificate of Lawful Development. The constrants on any extension will be determined by the size and layout of the building plot and adjoining plots.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

If your neighbours complains, you may be forced to tear it down....

Comment

Once you go beyond the PD limits you will need planning permission and whether or not you get it will depend on the planning policies of the particular council, which will vary from area to area. It isn't really possible for anyone to give generic advice on this sort of thing. You would need to talk to a planning consultant who knows your area.
        RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Rear Extension

Originally posted by Flashback1966 View Post
          If your neighbours complains, you may be forced to tear it down....
          Can my neighbour force me to tear it down if though I manage to get full planning permission? Does council speak to neighbour before they grant planning permission or do I have speak to them individually?

Any further advice will be very helpful

Comment

If the extension is close to the boundary you will have to consult the neighbour under the Party Walls legislation. This doesn't necessarily prevent you building but does mean that you have to take steps to secure the structural integrity of his property.

If the neighbour has acquired rights of light and your extension blocks his light or he has the benefit of covenants in the title that prevent further building then he may be able to stop you building
            RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Are you looking to do the planning permission yourself?

As an owner, you can ring your local planning authority and ask for a meeting to have a pre planning application discussion. While they are not bound by any conversation, they can perhaps steer you in the direction of what they look favorably on.

OR

A Local Architect of Architectural Technician should come free of charge to go over your project. They should in that first meeting be able to advise on the likelihood of your planning permission being granted and also offer advise on what party wall agreements you may need.

As they will know the area and local authority they should be able to give you a decent heads up to what is practical.

They should then be able to offer you a FIXED fee for the first submission. Unfortunately, if they think ti will be hard or tricky, any further submissions will need to be priced accordingly.

They might also be able to offer a design that suits your end needs without having to go out as far as you feel you currently do.

My first question is - has president been set along your terrace or any in the immediate area? If yes, then you have a strong case. If no, then it can make it harder.

This is not something to answer easily without knowing/seeing the property/surrounding area.

Good luck
              Q

Comment

Rear Extension

Originally posted by Richard Webster View Post
                If the extension is close to the boundary you will have to consult the neighbour under the Party Walls legislation. This doesn't necessarily prevent you building but does mean that you have to take steps to secure the structural integrity of his property.

If the neighbour has acquired rights of light and your extension blocks his light or he has the benefit of covenants in the title that prevent further building then he may be able to stop you building

I need further clarification from Richard Webster. You mention extension close to boundary line require consulation with neighbours under party wall legislation and steps needed to ensure secure structural integrity of their property.

Q1. How close to the fence (in feet) can I build my extension before requiring their consent?

Q2. What steps do I have to take to prevent structural damage to their property? Can my architect advice me on both these issues?

Q3. In regards to restrictive covenants I refer to my title deeds which says " No houses shall be erected for occupation by more than one family or occupation as residential flats. In case of houses erected for occupatiion by one famiily only one of such shall be erected on each lot at the cost of not less than £350 for labour and material only on plots of 20 feet and upwards and £300 on plots seventeen feet to twenty feet. No purchaser shall exacavate or remove any gravel sand clay or earth except as may be excavated or removed for the purpose of erecting some building or buildings."

Q4. If I manage to get planning permission to build extension beyond permitted development, can my neighbour or new owner cause problem?

Comment

Q1. How close to the fence (in feet) can I build my extension before requiring their consent?

Q2. What steps do I have to take to prevent structural damage to their property? Can my architect advice me on both these issues?
                  If you have an architect he will advise you about all this.

Q3. In regards to restrictive covenants I refer to my title deeds which says " No houses shall be erected for occupation by more than one family or occupation as residential flats. In case of houses erected for occupatiion by one famiily only one of such shall be erected on each lot at the cost of not less than £350 for labour and material only on plots of 20 feet and upwards and £300 on plots seventeen feet to twenty feet. No purchaser shall exacavate or remove any gravel sand clay or earth except as may be excavated or removed for the purpose of erecting some building or buildings."

Q4. If I manage to get planning permission to build extension beyond permitted development, can my neighbour or new owner cause problem?
                  If that is the only covenant that applies then that won't affect you.

The point about light remains - will the extension reduce the light coming into the neighbour's windows?
                  RICHARD WEBSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Rohit15 View Post

Typically it is a planning requirement to be 1m away from boundaries.
                    The consensus in this office is, you should always discuss your intentions with your neighbour(s) out of politeness and ease of application.
                    You will need to put up Neighbor Notification (as it is known in Scotland)

The architect can advise and either instruct a structural engineer on your behalf or you can choose your own. This will be needed more at the Building Regulation stage not planning. At that latter stage, you will need to also submit a set of structural calculations.

Those are very old terms that might have passed. Is there in indication on how long these are in place for?

I am sorry, I do not fully understand what you question is on this, or are you looking for a better understanding of the text?

Yes, they can. They can view the application at your local planning office (or online nower days) and lodge an objection. They have a set period of time in which they need to do this. It must be in writing and it must be valid.

This is often why it is important to discuss with neighbour(s) what you are hoping to do.

If president has been set along any of your immediate or surrounding streets and you are looking to do the same or very similar, then an objection would be hard to enforce. It woudl only really be if rights of light are effected or if you are looking to erect a huge yellow box. Typical notes on drawings are going to be, to match existing etc.

I know it was not I that you were looking to answer this.
                    Hope I might have helped and Richard can further help were required.

Good luck
                    Q

Comment

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 only applies to England and Wales.

You have the right to raise a wall wholely on your land - ie the outer face is in line with the boundary - and have the footings projecting onto the neighbouring land. This does not require the consent from the neighbour but the footings must be 'simple' such as mass filled concrete strip foundations.

You also have the right to raise a new Party Wall astride the boundary but you do require the neighbours consent to do this.

The other factor that needs to be considered [regarding the PWA] is the depth of the new footings, depth of neighbours footings and the distance between them.

Inreality (with what you've described) you'll need to do very little to safe guard the neighbour's property.

I would expect an Architect working on these types of project in England and Wales to be fully aware of the PWA and should be able to advise you as to what, if any, responsibilities you have.

That's to vague a question to answer consicely. It entirely depends on the character type of the neighbour.

A few final notes, be aware that the Local Authority have nothing to do with the process or procedures of the PWA. It is entirely your responsibility.

Secondly, you'll also need to comply with the Building Regulations. These are completely different to the Planning Process.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Comment

A very good afternoon to QfanatiQ

Thank you very much for your valuable time in responding to my query relating to rear extension. I would like to clarify a few things with you which detailed below:

Q1. You mention that planning requirement to be 1m away from boundary. Do you mean that I have to leave at least 1metre from left hand side and 1metre from right hand side of fence?

Q2. You said that even if I get planning permission to build beyond permitted development my neighbour can still lodge a complaint. If that is the case, then what is the point of getting planning permission. You also mention about time set period and validity. Could you please tell me in little bit more details?

Q3. Finally you have said about If president has been set along any of your immediate or surrounding streets and you are looking to do the same or very similar, then an objection would be hard to enforce. I do not understand what you actually mean by that.

I would be much obliged if you could clarify these above points.

Many thanks

Comment

You should pose those questions to your designer as answers may be effected by the proposals and the site.

Comment

You said that even if I get planning permission to build beyond permitted development my neighbour can still lodge a complaint. If that is the case, then what is the point of getting planning permission. You also mention about time set period and validity.
                            Planning permission is just what it says - it is only permission under planning law - you may need other kinds of permissions depending on the circumstances.

If there are covenants preventing building on the land then you would need consent under those covenants (nothing to do with planning) and if you infringe someone else's right to light then they can stop you building regardless of whether or not you have planning permission.
                            RICHARD WEBSTER

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning permission
                              by dizzymill
                              I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
                              07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
                            • Reply to Planning permission
                              by pilman
                              The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
                              08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
                              by dizzymill
                              Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
                              08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
                              by Tipper
                              It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
                              Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
                              08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
                            • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                              by Tipper
                              No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
                              06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
                            • Building Regulations Certificate
                              by kennyj52
                              Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
                              I currently rent out 2 properties and own
                              01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
                            • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
                              by kennyj52
                              Thanks for the advice all. I've had 2 boilers replaced by different installers over the last 6 years, but not received a Building Regulations Certificate from either one. I didn't ask the installers about it at the time as I was unaware of the need. Although they did provide Gas Safe Reports as requested,...
                              05-07-2020, 12:27 PM
                            • Reply to Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                              by Lawcruncher
                              This transaction only needs one document, a lease. A skeleton of the clauses needed:

·A demise of the additional land
                              ·A statement that the terms of the lease are (mutatis mutandis) the same as the OP's lease except as expressly provided in the next clause
                              ·Set out...
                              04-07-2020, 20:08 PM
                            • Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                              by nushandphil
                              Hi There,

I live in a share of freehold ground floor flat (1 of 4 flats, 2 ground floor, 2 first) within a converted Victorian house and am looking to do a 3.5m extension into the garden. The garden is shared between the 2 ground floor flats and split down the middle by a fence. Each ground...
                              03-07-2020, 10:34 AM
                            • Reply to Licence To Alter, Supplemental Lease and Deed of Variation Costs
                              by nushandphil
                              Thank you for all your responses, good to know this is on the high side and we should be able to save some money. Do you have any advice on indicative costs (appreciate this might be a 'how long is a piece of string' kind of question). I've already messaged a few other solicitors.

04-07-2020, 10:12 AM
                            Working...
                            X