Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat description in the lease

Hi,

I am not sure I own the loft area above my flat (and accessible only from my flat). The loft is never explicitly mentioned but the wording of the description of the flat in the lease is not clear to me, if anyone has an opinion that would help before I start even thinking of contacting a solicitor and plan of converting. This is the description of flat in the lease:

The flat on the second floor of the property including the following: a)The ceilings and floors of the flat and the joists or beams (if any) on which the floors are laid the joists or beams to which the ceilings are attached and the roof space above but not the joists or beams to which the roof is attached nor thereof b) the services solely used by the flat c) The walls and party walls within and bounding the flat provided that all walls separating the flat from any other part of the property shall be party walls deemed to be divided vertically

it says the roof space above but then i don't get the 'not the joists or beams', does it mean I own the loft but not the roof?

Many thanks for any help, It would come very appreciated

Max

Sounds like you have a right ot use the loft for storge but the roof - the bit the tiles are fixed too - remain the Freeholder's.

Regardless of this you'd still need Freeholder's consent if you plan to convert the loft into habitable space. You'll also need Planning Consent as flats don't have Permitted Development rights and Building Regulation approval.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

I am not sure how you would intend to overboard the loft if you do not own the joists? Sounds quite difficult to me!
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

I hope you put more efffort into your studies!

Re-read the OP. Then look up 'traditional pitched roofs'. I have made the assumption that the building has a traditional pitched (ie non-trussed) roof. I've yet to come across a flat roof with space for a loft in it's structure, although I'd happily see some photos.

The ceiling will be attached to ceiling joists above which will be the loft space. The roof structure will be above this.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X