Are building regs needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are building regs needed?

Does anyone know whether you need building regs before you can re-erect a non load-bearing partition wall between the dining room and sitting room of a Victorian terraced house?

It was removed some years ago and replaced by an I beam (RSJ). The new partition would go up to meet this beam and would include a doorway and door.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Does anyone know whether you need building regs before you can re-erect a non load-bearing partition wall between the dining room and sitting room of a Victorian terraced house?

It was removed some years ago and replaced by an I beam (RSJ). The new partition would go up to meet this beam and would include a doorway and door.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    My opinion: I can't see any issues at all, unless it leaves an escape route physically unavailable.

Or if you do the new wall with polystyrene tiles :-).

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thanks. So, just to clarify, as long as the stud partition is of a sensible design, covered with plasterboard and plastered, and the door is a fire door, my frineds (whose house it is) don't need to apply for building regs?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Thanks. So, just to clarify, as long as the stud partition is of a sensible design, covered with plasterboard and plastered, and the door is a fire door, my frineds (whose house it is) don't need to apply for building regs?
        I'm not being definitive on this, as I'm not qualified.

I'd ask the BCO the question in general terms; I can't see a downside in doing so.

ML
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thanks! Will do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dispute over boundary land
            by cazamoran
            This might take a while, you may want to grab a cup of tea!
            Ill try to condense things. A friend persuaded us to sell part of our garden upon which he obtained permission and built a house. After failing to sell the house, his son now lives there. I started noticing that along the boundary wall,...
            09-07-2020, 19:09 PM
          • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
            by Always Problems
            I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
            09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
          • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
            by AKRS
            Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
            29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
          • Planning permission
            by dizzymill
            I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
            07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
          • Reply to Planning permission
            by Always Problems
            In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
            09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
            by pilman
            The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
            08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
            by dizzymill
            Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
            08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
            by Tipper
            It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
            Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
            08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
          • Building Regulations Certificate
            by kennyj52
            Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
            I currently rent out 2 properties and own
            01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
          • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
            by Tipper
            No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
            06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
          Working...
          X