Are building regs needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are building regs needed?

Does anyone know whether you need building regs before you can re-erect a non load-bearing partition wall between the dining room and sitting room of a Victorian terraced house?

It was removed some years ago and replaced by an I beam (RSJ). The new partition would go up to meet this beam and would include a doorway and door.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Does anyone know whether you need building regs before you can re-erect a non load-bearing partition wall between the dining room and sitting room of a Victorian terraced house?

It was removed some years ago and replaced by an I beam (RSJ). The new partition would go up to meet this beam and would include a doorway and door.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    My opinion: I can't see any issues at all, unless it leaves an escape route physically unavailable.

Or if you do the new wall with polystyrene tiles :-).

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thanks. So, just to clarify, as long as the stud partition is of a sensible design, covered with plasterboard and plastered, and the door is a fire door, my frineds (whose house it is) don't need to apply for building regs?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Thanks. So, just to clarify, as long as the stud partition is of a sensible design, covered with plasterboard and plastered, and the door is a fire door, my frineds (whose house it is) don't need to apply for building regs?
        I'm not being definitive on this, as I'm not qualified.

I'd ask the BCO the question in general terms; I can't see a downside in doing so.

ML
        Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Thanks! Will do.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X