Purchasing of Unregistered Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing of Unregistered Property

I'm looking at buying a property for renovation.

Everything looks good, but it is not registered with LR, and this is a circumstance I have not met before.

Are there any risks I might be missing (presumably solicitor has to do slightly more careful checks on the Title etc), or is a better route to simply insist on registration before purchase?

Thanks

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

What did solicitors do 40-50 years ago when most titles were unregistered?

In the vast majority of cases it really isn't a problem. In a tiny minority where the title is ever so complicated registration might be advised to a seller - but this is rare. Example - Council CPOS lots of terraced houses after WW2 and Ther eare freeholds, long leaseholds and under leaseholds all mixed up and a few where the Council owned the freehold and the underlease but not the intermediate leasehold reversion for a few days in 900 years time. A vanload of deeds were sent down the Land Registry at Weymouth and it came back as one single freehold title with no funnies at all. That made it easier to sell land to a developer.

However, you can see that is an extreme example and it the vast majority of cases it is only a case of looking through a few conveyances and at some old covenants. A solicitor might charge a bit more for dealing with it but in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't be that much.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thanks.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X