solar panels subletting the roof to the company who puts them up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

solar panels subletting the roof to the company who puts them up

I was wondering how nat west my morgage company feels about subletting my roof for 25 years to a solar panel company? Will nat west object to the subletting or say o.k.? how does it work if I sell the properity in 20 years The solar panels will still sublet to the solar company so will some one else get a morgage on my house.

Perhaps ask Nat West how theyfeel about it?

Regarding the lease you'll need to get a copy and check the assignment clauses.

I doubt anyone on here will be able to comment on two legal documents (mortgage and the lease) they haven't read.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Can you not just buy the solar panels from a company who will install them and guarantee them for the 25 years - I have seen various companies advertise this but haven't looked into it in detail. Do they all insist on sub-letting the roof.

Also I understand there is a guaranteed price that will be paid when selling to the national grid for the next 25 years. However, what are your thoughts regarding the question of whether there will be guaranteed demand at this price for 25 years if everyone jumps on the bandwagon in the local area? As presumably it only makes sense if electricity is sourced from your roof for the local area as opposed to anywhere in the UK - or am i wrong about this (as I said i havent actually explored this in detail before).

Or are you viewing this as an environmental decision as opposed to investment?

Comment

I think these solar panel contracts are another 'miss-selling' scandal in the making.

Think of pensions, ppi, endowment mortgages, the list goes on.

The guaranteed rates are unreasonable for the rest of the country to bear. What cannot continue, will not continue.

Comment

I have to say that is my concern. It is a very big investment but nothing is guaranteed. The companies say "the Government has committed...." but in truth how good is that promise? It is just not a certain enough investment for us at this stage although we have got some very big very suitable roof spaces...
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

FT Article.

To anyone still interested - an important FT article is pasted below (cant find the link to it).

Solar panel subsidy to be slashed
            By Pilita Clark and Jim Pickard

Subsidies for households to install solar panels are about to be slashed by ministers in a controversial move which could make a further dent in the coalition’s green credentials.

Ministers are also on Thursday expected to announce a shake-up of wind power incentives from 2015, which will cut subsidies for onshore wind but improve state help for wave and tidal power.

The news comes hours after ministers confirmed on Wednesday that they were not going ahead with a flagship £1bn carbon capture and storage demonstration project in Scotland.
            Intense discussions are taking place about precisely how far to cut the small-scale solar “feed-in tariff” (FiT) which pays households and companies for energy produced.

Some officials in the Department of Energy and Climate Change are calling for a reduction in the subsidy by three-quarters, according to industry sources.

That would mean a fall from the current level of up to 43p per kilowatt hour generated, to as little as 9p per kWh – a move which the industry claims would be devastating. If the government follows past precedent, any change would not affect homeowners with existing solar panels.

It is understood that Greg Barker, climate change minister, is arguing for a compromise tariff that would be less damaging for the industry but still lower than at present.
            The department recently put the system under review. “We’ve made clear that tariffs will remain unchanged until April 2012 unless the review indicates the need for greater urgency,” it said.

One coalition source said that money had been “flying out” of the scheme’s fixed budget and action would have to be taken soon. The original tariff levels had been set “embarrassingly” high, he warned.

The number of solar installations has almost doubled since June to more than 85,000 in a scheme that only started in April last year. Solar schemes made up 97 per cent of all projects receiving feed-in-tariffs in September, dwarfing other forms of renewables.

Some investors say they have already priced in the prospect of a cut of up to 50 per cent from the current 29p-43p per kWh, but warn that a higher cut would be difficult to stomach.

Ministers recently endured a separate backlash after cutting the subsidy rate for large-scale systems on August 1 to as little as 8.5p per kWh after being “overwhelmed" by take-up. At the time they justified the move by saying they wanted small-scale generation to take up a larger proportion of the overall FiTs budget.

The row is taking place amid a wider shake-up of renewable subsidies called ROCs (renewables obligations certificates) for wind, waves and biomass. Ministers will maintain the overall annual support for renewables but are adjusting the number of certificates given to different sectors within the industry.

Additional reporting by David Blair

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

The guaranteed rates are unreasonable for the rest of the country to bear. What cannot continue, will not continue.

Originally posted by Ray111 View Post

Subsidies for households to install solar panels are about to be slashed by ministers in a controversial move which could make a further dent in the coalition’s green credentials.
              Does the government read Landlordzone?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X