Getting advice up front from a planning consultancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting advice up front from a planning consultancy

Over the years my work as a planning consultant has shifted from doing lots of appeals to more and more 'front end' feasibility work, which I regard as a good trend. Having a look at some of the queries that come into this forum, I can only encourage property owners to, maybe after speaking to the Council themselves, to take early advice from a good planning consultancy. It's not necessary that they be very local, but it is good that they have the sort of track record that relates to your problem at hand. It can be very cost and time effective following this route.

So, I wondered what people think about the positives and negatives of using a planning consultant at an ealry stage?? And why do many people still not do this??

Regards,

PETER

Hi Peter,

The positive would seem to be the ability to get someone who knows the language of planning, and what pressures are placed on Planning departments to guide a prospective developer through the 'minefield'.

The negative is the cost of the advice.

Perhaps a way forward is to offer, as solicitors do, a free half hour 'consultation', for the client to lay out their ideas, and for you to explain how your knowledge could save the client time and money.

Comment

We had an issue re change of use. The first planning consultant we consulted gave us the wrong advice which could have cost us an absolute fortune. Thank goodness we checked with another who we engaged and who was brilliant. My advice - ensure you deal with someone with an excellent reputation (will cost more but worth it) and do some research yourself to check if they know their stuff!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

As I am now retired I offered free advice about a potential development opportunity to some people who I was introduced to.

I explained the planning matters relating to their problem and suggested that if they intended to proceed with a planning application then having a reputable local architect design a proposed dwelling would be the way forward.

That architect charged £450 to meet with them on site and then contact the Local Planning Authority to discuss matters with them.
        He then came back to his clients to recommend that they contact his preferred planning consultant to have a report made for them.
        This being the facts about planning matters that I had already discussed with them.

The couple I had been assisting received a quote of £1,200 to be told exactly those matters I had already explained to them, but it would be in the form of a written report.
        After that there would be a further cost to prepare the planning application that would require further meetings between the planning consultant and the architect, all at a cost per hour per person that had no upper limit attached to it.

Perhaps that sums up why people do not immediately seek profession advice as suggested by Mr. Kyte.
        It is so very expensive as to be beyond the consideration of most potential applicants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X