Lodgers with own council tax bill?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lodgers with own council tax bill?

    This maybe a daft question but can a lodger (sharing a kitchen but separate living room/ bedroom/ bathroom) have their own council tax bill?

    I would like to set up a lodger on my first floor. I'm about to buy an
    ex-LA so quite a large 3 bed. I don't like the idea of putting their bills in with the rent in case they don't pay. I understand its alot of money to split everything like the electric but the house needs a refurb (and
    probably a re-wire too!) anyway. What i'd like to do is separate them as
    much as possible but keep the lodger legal status to avoid the building
    regs and planning permissions.

    Has anyone put in two kitchens downstairs (split the existing kitchen
    into two) and is this an ok solution with planning/building regs? - They would have access to both like the big HMOs do when they have to provide more kitchens/bathrooms etc.

    Any thoughts?

    "No chance" sums up this posting.


      The council tax is one bill per property. Separate the building into 2 properties and you may be able to get the council to agree to 2 bills.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
        by Always Problems
        I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
        09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
      • 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
        by AKRS
        Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
        29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
      • Planning permission
        by dizzymill
        I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

        There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
        07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
      • Reply to Planning permission
        by Always Problems
        In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
        09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
      • Reply to Planning permission
        by pilman
        The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

        The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
        08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Planning permission
        by dizzymill
        Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
        08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
      • Reply to Planning permission
        by Tipper
        It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
        Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

        You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
        08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
      • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
        by Tipper
        No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

        We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
        06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
      • Building Regulations Certificate
        by kennyj52
        Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
        I currently rent out 2 properties and own
        01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
      • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
        by kennyj52
        Thanks for the advice all. I've had 2 boilers replaced by different installers over the last 6 years, but not received a Building Regulations Certificate from either one. I didn't ask the installers about it at the time as I was unaware of the need. Although they did provide Gas Safe Reports as requested,...
        05-07-2020, 12:27 PM