town house into flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

town house into flats

Hi everybody, we have a 3 floor town house that I want to convert to 3 X 1 bed self contained apartments, not for resale so no separate leases, it would be just for rental what permission do I need? would it be just building regs? and can I get 3 X electric & gas card meters? Thanks for any help.

You have to get full planning permission because you are creating dwellings.

You may find that you need to provide parking and communal bin stores too and other similar things too.

All utilities will gladly separate your water, gas, electric into as many meters as you need...for a cost! They do take time though and depending where you are can take an age just to make the offer to you and even longer to actually do the work. For gas and electric the distribution company does the cabling or pipework and the supplier provides the meters. Really annoying!

You will also need full drawings for and full building regs approval.

Don't forget soundproofong!

Good Luck!

Comment

If you are going to all the trouble of the conversion, it would be worth doing separate titles and leases. In the future you may want or need to sell.

Comment

Assuming the property is in England or Wales.

You'll need Planning Consent, Building Regulation Approval and Inspection. Further to this you may also need Party Wall Awards, Mortage Providor consent and Conservation Area or Listed Building Consent.

As for the utilities. Gas, electric and water mains may need to be upgrades to supply the needs of three separate dwellings - regardless of them being 'small' flats - to avoid supply issues. There's no reason why card meters can't be fitted to the new supplies.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Yes. all the responses are correct....juts make sure you comply with planning poilcy and standards!!

Peter

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X