X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ilonkapav
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Without its own bathroom/shower-room though, would it actually be a studio flat at all - or just an extra facility in owner's home?
    This is why I do not really want to put bathroom in. I think by doing that I can get away without planning permission. But still could not find exact information. I'll probably have to contact my local council.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Without its own bathroom/shower-room though, would it actually be a studio flat at all - or just an extra facility in owner's home?

I thought studio flats were self-contained in terms of facilities (kitchen, bathroom and living space). Anything short of that (as in OP's case) is not self-contained and if rented out would presumably come into the territory of lodgers rather than tenants.

I agree building regs would be needed but if the accommodation will used by/ shared with the owner, then do you really need planning permission?

Leave a comment:

• ilonkapav
    replied
    Thanks for useful advice, Pilman!

Leave a comment:

• pilman
    replied
    The council have a planning department and a building control department, so in answer to your question you do need officially to contact the council, but probably it will be building control approval if you claimed there was to be a second kitchen for the existing single dwelling.

If you do intend to create two separate dwellings, with one being a studio flat, then "officially" both departments need to give approval, as planning permission then becomes necessary.

You may want to research building controls on new water connections and drain connections as I am no longer dealing with such matters on a regularly basis, but it was always new connections for sewers and drains they were interested in when I was working full time.

Leave a comment:

• ilonkapav
    replied
    Thanks for your replay, James. Does it mean I do not need to ask the Council for permission then?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Yes it is legal to have two kitchens.

Leave a comment:

• ilonkapav
    started a topic Put second kitchen in my house

Put second kitchen in my house

Hello guys!
    I am looking for some advice. I’ve got a house with really large living room. I am thinking to convert it to kind of studio flat. I am planning to divide it into two parts – bedroom and kitchen/sitting room. So I am not going to put bathroom/shower there, as it’s too complicated. I am not sure whether I need any planning permission for such work. Actually what I’ll do is just to add extra kitchen to my house. Is it legal to have two kitchens? Could you help, please?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X