Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion of large 1 bed into 1 studio and a small 1 bed

Hello,

I am a complete novice, and am just looking for a sounding board.

My husband and I own a ground floor 1 bed garden flat in London which is approx 70sqm, so pretty large compared to modern standards!

It's a victorian conversion so has very high ceilings which make it feel even more spacious. In the building there are 5 other flats and we have a share of freehold lease.

We want to sell next year, but I am trying to think of ways to make the most of the space and get more for the flat, either by making it into a two bed, or converting into two properties, however I know nothing about doing this.

Access is via a communal hallway and it's a semi detached building, so our windows are only at the front and back of the flat. There is a separate lounge, which backs onto a large private garden with off-road parking, an eat in kitchen, small hallway, bathroom and bedroom at the front.

My thinking is to either split the lounge in two to create a second bedroom (with windows overlooking back garden), therefor creating a small lounge with garden access, and retaining the large eat in kitchen (which is open plan with the living room) or would it be possible to sub-divide the whole flat so that the bathroom and bedroom are converted into a studio, and the kitchen and lounge are created into a one bed flat accessible by the back (creating a new bathroom within the kitchen floorplan)

I would like to know how our share of freehold might affect our plans, and whether I am off my rocker, or could this actually work?

Thank you in advance.

K

Difficult to grasp without seeing plans but I would say creating another dwelling within the unit to sell on separately will be out of the question unless you get the consent of your fellow freeholders. You would need planning consent and a certain amount of legal work to create a new title.

Creating a second bedroom sounds more sensible.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Further to Planning you'll need Building Regs approval which will most likely be a ball ache. You may also get stung for 'Planning Gain' for creating a new dwelling.

From your description, I wouldn't do any alterations. I'd get it tidy and neatly presented. Then sell it as a spacious, ready to move into flat.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X