Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion of large 1 bed into 1 studio and a small 1 bed

Hello,

I am a complete novice, and am just looking for a sounding board.

My husband and I own a ground floor 1 bed garden flat in London which is approx 70sqm, so pretty large compared to modern standards!

It's a victorian conversion so has very high ceilings which make it feel even more spacious. In the building there are 5 other flats and we have a share of freehold lease.

We want to sell next year, but I am trying to think of ways to make the most of the space and get more for the flat, either by making it into a two bed, or converting into two properties, however I know nothing about doing this.

Access is via a communal hallway and it's a semi detached building, so our windows are only at the front and back of the flat. There is a separate lounge, which backs onto a large private garden with off-road parking, an eat in kitchen, small hallway, bathroom and bedroom at the front.

My thinking is to either split the lounge in two to create a second bedroom (with windows overlooking back garden), therefor creating a small lounge with garden access, and retaining the large eat in kitchen (which is open plan with the living room) or would it be possible to sub-divide the whole flat so that the bathroom and bedroom are converted into a studio, and the kitchen and lounge are created into a one bed flat accessible by the back (creating a new bathroom within the kitchen floorplan)

I would like to know how our share of freehold might affect our plans, and whether I am off my rocker, or could this actually work?

Thank you in advance.

K

Difficult to grasp without seeing plans but I would say creating another dwelling within the unit to sell on separately will be out of the question unless you get the consent of your fellow freeholders. You would need planning consent and a certain amount of legal work to create a new title.

Creating a second bedroom sounds more sensible.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Further to Planning you'll need Building Regs approval which will most likely be a ball ache. You may also get stung for 'Planning Gain' for creating a new dwelling.

From your description, I wouldn't do any alterations. I'd get it tidy and neatly presented. Then sell it as a spacious, ready to move into flat.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney pot gas compliance
        by Perfectgame
        Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
        23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
      • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
        by AndrewDod
        Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
        If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
        23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
        by JK0
        I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
        23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
        by Interlaken
        What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
        23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
      • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
        by Interlaken
        CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
        23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
      • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
        by Clulass
        I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
        14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
      • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
        by leaseholder64
        I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
        18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
      • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
        by slix_88
        Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
        14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
      • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
        by slix_88
        Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
        Simon
        18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
      • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
        by MAPTON
        Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
        10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
      Working...
      X