widening of vehicular access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

widening of vehicular access

We have a shared driveway, of which we own the freehold, serving two properties. This access is onto a private road. We would both like to widen the access; would we require any permissions other than that from the owner of the private road?

As you are not making alterations to an access onto a Classified Road, and provided that you have not had permitted development rights removed from your property, I do not consider you would need planning permission for the proposed works. If resurfacing the driveway or creating new hardstanding you should ensure you use a porous material e.g. block paving.

Regards

Rob Duncan

Comment

Thank you for your response. Would our being a listed building in a conservation area have any bearing on this?

Comment

makes it even harder. You'd need listed building consent for any changes to anything within the curtilege. this includes ANYTHING right up to the legal boundary. first point of call is you local conservation officer for an infomal discussion. take a plan and some photos. In a conservation area there is a principle whereby any alteration has to actually ENHANCE a conservation area. It's a bit of an odd concept, but comes from a case heard concerning a conservation area in Camden (where two old dears in the late 1980s defeated an application being appealled on the basis that the application did not enhance the conservation area)

At risk of being a bit of an anorak on such matters its known as the steinberg principle and you'll find articles on point on the net

Of course, the other option, given that you are likely to be turned down, is just do it and fill the verge where you widen it with some pea shingle, worst case if anyone complains say how terribly sorry you are, didnt think anyone would mind and put it back exactly as it was. Its unlikely that some jobsworth would fine you. If your house is on a green, you might discover that you dont own the verge, and it belongs as many do where houses abut greens owned by them to the National Trust whose only interest, in reality, going on recent form, will be to try to extract some dosh out of you for consent. "And why not?" as Barrie Norman used to put it?

Comment

The fact that your property is Listed and within a Conservation does not affect your Permitted Development entitlement to carry out the works. However, even though you wont require planning permission, you will almost certainly require Listed Building Consent. You should contact your Local Council in this regard. The main issue the Council will consider is the impact of the access on the setting of the Listed Building. The Conservation Area status of the land shouldnt be taken into account, as you will only be seeking Listed Building Consent. If they query things from a planning perspective you need to draw their attention to Class F of the Permitted Development Order (2008 revision), the text of which is below.

Regards

Rob Duncan

Permitted development
          F. Development consisting of—
          (a) the provision within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse of a hard surface for any
          purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such; or
          (b) the replacement in whole or in part of such a surface.
          Conditions
          F.1 Development is permitted by Class F subject to the condition that where—
          (a) the hard surface would be situated on land between a wall forming the principal
          elevation of the dwellinghouse and a highway, and
          (b) the area of ground covered by the hard surface, or the area of hard surface
          replaced, would exceed 5 square metres,
          either the hard surface shall be made of porous materials, or provision shall be made to
          direct run-off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within
          the curtilage of the dwellinghouse[/I].[/I]

Comment

Are there any trees that will need to be trimmed or felled in order for your proposal to be implemented? Any ancient holly hedges that you would need to grub up?

Comment

This sounds promising in that the widening of the access would actually be along the frontage of the neighbouring property which is not listed. My take on this, in view of the responses, would be to widen the access, with the consent of the neighbours, and see what happens. It would mean dropping the kerb and re-tarmacing but as it is onto a private tarmac road there are no verges to cross.

Comment

Reference to Part 1 Class F is for development within the curtilage of a dwellinghouse, which may not be the case if this drive is shared and is considered to be outside of the curtilage of the house.
                In that case look at Part 2 Class B of the GPDO which deals with Minor Operations
                Class B
                Permitted development

B. The formation, laying out and construction of a means of access to a highway which is not a trunk road or a classified road, where that access is required in connection with development permitted by any Class in this Schedule (other than by Class A of this Part).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney pot gas compliance
                  by Perfectgame
                  Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
                  23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
                • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
                  by AndrewDod
                  Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
                  If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
                  23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
                  by JK0
                  I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
                  23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
                  by Interlaken
                  What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
                  23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
                • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
                  by Clulass
                  I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
                  14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
                • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
                  by Interlaken
                  CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
                  23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
                • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
                  by slix_88
                  Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
                  14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
                • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
                  by leaseholder64
                  I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
                  18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
                • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
                  by slix_88
                  Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
                  Simon
                  18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
                • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
                  by MAPTON
                  Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
                  10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
                Working...
                X