• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts


    hi, i'm concidering my first conversion eg three story victorian town house into two/three flats, any info would be much appriciated from mortgage to sound proofing, building consent to selling individual flats once converted.

    Assuming you have no property knowledge at all.

    Unless you're going to put a lot of effort into researching each aspect of this then I suggest you find a local small practice Building Surveyor, Architect or Archtectural Technitian and get them on board as a consultant.

    What you propose is, ultimately, very simple but you really need advice from professionals who know the property and the area. Forums can give good, generic advice from an over view but there maybe something specific to your property that might affect the advice you need.

    RIBA have a 'Plan of Work' that lists the cronological order that things should be tackled on a project. Getting a copy of that would help get a timeline sorted.

    Also, the Building Regulations are a minimum standard that buildings are to meet. They are not the pinnicle of building performance.

    Never underestimate the cost of and number of different profeesional services that you'll need. The actual building work is only a proportion of your budget spend.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


      I agree with the comments above... professional advice is really what you need. A project of this nature will require planning permission so in determining who you wish to assist you in this project, you should ensure that the person/consultant is suitably experienced and qualified to assist you.


      Rob Duncan
      Last edited by Moderator2; 15-07-2011, 18:45 PM. Reason: Company Name


        thanks for your replies, you have given me food for thought


        Latest Activity