Can I run my ensuite waste into the existing soil stack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I run my ensuite waste into the existing soil stack?

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying a new house which currently only has 1 bathroom and a massively oversized bedroom so i would like to add an ensuite. Both the bathroom and bedroom are on the top floor of a large victorian house and one of the other flats owns/uses the ground floor and gardens. As a result adding a brand new soil pipe down the back and digging it into the drains would most likely be a bit of a nightmare. Is it legal/allowed within the regs to run the new soil pipe (for the toilet/shower/sink in the new ensuite) out the back wall and then join it into the existing soil pipe (that currently services just the main bathroom) as this would make it all much easier?

The only reason i ask was when i added an ensuite to a house a good few years ago i'm sure we had an issue with this and were told to use a totally separate soil stack (but that may have been because it was cast iron).

Thanks so much for your help everyone,

Dave

There are maximum length of runs for non-ventilated pipework laid out in the Building Regs.

Depending on where the run is coming from, the number of existing connections into the soil stack and it's diameter, the above may or may not be possible.

Have I understood the post correctly, you're planning on adding an en-suite to a 1-bed flat?

If so, and being blunt, you've more money than sense. You can't have too big a bedroom.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

If traditional pipe runs would infringe regulations, then your best way of being able to add an ensuite may be to instal a Saniflo system (get the best one you can afford). They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but correctly installed and used they can be a very convenient option which does not involve tearing the property apart to the same degree. Suppliers abound : this is the manufacturer's site:

http://saniflo.org/
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Deshg - yes there would have been an issue over adding to an old caste iron soil stack.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
          Deshg - yes there would have been an issue over adding to an old caste iron soil stack.
          ...or 'stinky', as they are so appropriately called in Newcastle upon Tyne!
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

you are going to need building (regulations ) consent for a new installation and the alteration/ extension of the existing drainage, even if you are simply tieing in.

The local council will normally be quite helpful.
            Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your help, that has put my mind at rest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X