Building Regs. consent needed just for roof repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Regs. consent needed just for roof repair?

Under what circumstances would i need building control consent to conduct a roof repair?

My local council is taking me to court for repairing it without consent! What is the world coming to hey?

All i did was repair a leak. And for additional protection i added one layer of felt on top of the original felt!

They set me a court date of next month, where i could be finxed up to 5k!

Did the Council give you specific details re the Act/SI and section/article under which they are prosecuting?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Yes, as follows:
      Regulations 12, 16, 29 and 41 of section 35 of the building act

Basically because we didnt submit a full application, didnt give them notice that we were starting, didnt provide an energy certificate or sound test information

I dont understand it all. I thought building regs were needed for 'building works'?

All i did was fix my roof and re decorate my property.

Comment

surely you are allowed to repair a roof without permission - did the "addition" raise the roofline? Did you add a window? What changed?
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJohnson View Post
          Regulations 12, 16, 29 and 41 of section 35 of the building act
          But s.35 is very short and just sets-out the penalties:

35. Penalty for contravening building regulations.

If a person contravenes any provision contained in building regulations, other than a provision designated in the regulations as one to which this section does not apply, he is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale and to a further fine not exceeding £50 for each day on which the default continues after he is convicted.

So you're in fact referring to the Building Regulations 2010: see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I think it was taking down and replacing the plasterboard ceiling below the roof that they are pointing too. Assuming this is the same building as one of your old posts about a leaking roof and the Building Inspector.

Building Control depts have now taken the view that removal of inner linings (plasterboard / t&g lining) below roofs now requires the roof structure above comply with the current minimum U-value (0.18W/m2K iirc). On the one hand it's a good move to actually make a big improvement in the building stock of the country. On the other it just means a lot of poorly thought out, inappropriate 'fixes' that will have a detrimental effect on the building structure.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Hi there
              No, i didnt raise the line or add a window. I repaired my roof and added one new layer of felt, on top of the old felt. The old roof wasnt removed. I changed some part of the ceiling when it fell down. What percentage of the ceiling/ plasterboard has to be replaced in order to apply for a building reg application?

Comment

I don't see how a Full Plans Submission would be required for this work. It sounds as though it is the type of work that the Building Notice was designed for.

Forget about the felt repairs. Over felting is a perfectly acceptable repair and does not require Building Regulation approval.

How much of the ceiling did you repair?

How big is the roof?

I would suggest that if you replaced two plaster boards (5.5 sq M)on a 100 square metre roof then it would be unreasonable to upgrade the whole ceiling. Replacing two boards on a 15 sq M roof then it would be reasonable to upgrade.

Sounds like you need to get specific Professional advice.
                There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X