Obtaining planning for A3 premises - Change of use

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obtaining planning for A3 premises - Change of use

    Please could someone provide me with advice re the above.

    I am intending to convert a house (which was formerly a barbour on the ground floor - A1) into a cafe (A3). It was last an A1 premises in the mid 80's, but still has a flat front (as opposed to a bay, like the other houses in the street).

    I have spoken with planning in bristol about the likelihood of receiving permission, but they were unable to help that much as they only provide advice for larger projects. I have yet to go ahead with formal drawings.

    The house has shops on either sides (jewellery and grocers), but the rest of the street is generally residential. It is currently very run down and would need a great deal of work, but when complete would certainly add to the community (aethetically and because of its use).

    Can anyone provide advice on the chances of it receiving planning, or at least note some key factors that would be taken into account, which i could look into further.


  • #2
    When I worked in Planning, (up to 2004) the Council were very loath to grant A3 consents in a residential area.

    One thing they were very strict about was that there was adequate off-road parking, and also if they did approve the application they often limited opening hours (for example must close at 10.30 or not open at weekends) or granted a temporary permission to be reviewed in a year so that its impact upon the community could be judged more accurately.

    I would imagine a Change of Use from A1-A3 would be quite difficult to get in the situation you describe.


    • #3
      A3 Idea

      Your first port of call should be the local development plan - see your council's website. This will give you an idea of whether the site is within a designated shopping frontage and if so, what policies are pertinent. if outside a frontage there will be policies for that too... Once you are armed with a more informed position speak to the planners and they will help...

      If the property has been vacant for ages that may help...

      Have you considered other uses classes like A2 (estate agents etc)...?? Also, be aware that class A3 now EXCLUDES takeaways,which is A5

      Good luck!!!



      • #4
        Peter and Scampicat,

        Thanks both for your help. One last thing, I noticed A5 was HOT food takeaways. Is a cafe (A3) which does takeaway sandwiches/soup considered A5 or A3? And which is harder to get planning for?

        Thanks again,



        • #5
          A3 use

          A3 is for food consumed on the premises and A5 for food consumed off the premises. But it is the PRIMARY nature of the use that counts, therefore you could have an A3 use that did a SMALL amount of takeaway trade but still remained in A3 - always check this with the Council though!!!



          • #6
            I remember the legislation changing just before I moved to Spain and that Hot Food takeaways were going to be a different use class, but I couldn't remember what it was and in fact I had forgotton that it had changed.

            Thanks for the reminder!


            Latest Activity


            • Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
              Under Part 3 of the GPDO - Change of Use

              Class M allows for

              (a) a change of use of a building from—

              iii) a mixed use combining use as a dwellinghouse with—

              (aa) a use as a betting office or pay day loan shop, or

              (bb) a use falling...
              21-07-2017, 16:57 PM
            • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
              Since this Class of development requires prior approval it seems logical to seek approval for what you are proposing.
              The LPA will either accept that this falls within Class M or not.
              21-07-2017, 19:33 PM
            • Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
              Hi All,

              I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

              Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
              18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
            • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
              Thank you Al,

              I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
              19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
            • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
              bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
              19-07-2017, 03:17 AM
            • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
              Your initial problem seems to be that neither of you knows where the boundry actually is.

              Without knowing that then you can't know if the wall is on the boundry, on their land, or on your land.
              (The same goes for any foundations).

              Also the surveyor in any disputed PW...
              18-07-2017, 14:43 PM
            • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
              I'm not an expert in this area, but, I read the situation very differently to you. I feel they have chanced their arm and are now playing the "lawyer" card to try and bluff you into backing off. I dont think they know anything you dont, in fact I suspect they know very little about the law...
              18-07-2017, 07:17 AM
            • New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
              a couple of years ago my daughter bought a small end of terraced house. within the legal pack it mentioned that the adjoin terraced houses had 'access' down the side of her house and across the back - which isnt unusual and isn't a problem. there was no vehicular access as the side of the house was...
              08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
            • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
              that's the situation perfectly explained in a much better way than I obviously did originally, there is a small private courtyard to the rear of the properties, but as you say, there is no 'privacy' of a garden, though it is privately owned!

              on street parking is a nightmare so it has certainly...
              15-07-2017, 07:43 AM
            • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
              the way I read this is that this end of terrace house has a patch of land at the side and then another house, probably the end of a different terrace. Those two houses have amically agreed to use this land, which is half owned by one and half by the other, as a drive.

              There is a separate...
              13-07-2017, 20:49 PM