Completion Notice for Council Tax on New dwellings. Notice Invalid, now what?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Completion Notice for Council Tax on New dwellings. Notice Invalid, now what?

    Billing authorities (local councils) usually serve completion notices on new properties, or on properties that have been substantially, structurally altered. A completion notice gives the day the council thinks your property was finished by, or could have been finished by. This is the date from which council tax will be payable for the dwelling. This is under the Local Government Finance Act 1988 (LGFA 1988) - Schedule 4A.

    In case where the actual notices are invalid (for procedureal reasons) can the LA request Council tax backwards?

    Here is a link to the Council tax manual:

    There on page 96, it says as follows:

    Entry in the Valuation List
    There is no requirement for a billing authority to serve a notice if it is of the opinion that a new building has been completed. If there were, the inability to backdate the completion day could result in a significant loss of council tax in a case where a dwelling had in fact been completed for some time before it came to the authority‟s attention. The listing officer has the power to direct an authority not to issue a notice in such circumstances, and he may then enter the dwelling into the valuation list from the earlier day on which it actually came into existence.

    So my question is: if that apllies only where the LA had full knowledge of the dwelling but served incorrect notices, now the notices are being challenged, can the LA simply turn around and ask teh listing officer to to enter int o the valuation list? or is the above only when they had no knowledge.

Latest Activity


  • Chimney pot gas compliance
    by Perfectgame
    Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
    23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
  • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
    by AndrewDod
    Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
    If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

    In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
    23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
  • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
    by JK0
    I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
    23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
  • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
    by Interlaken
    What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
    23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
  • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
    by Interlaken
    CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
    23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
  • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
    by Clulass
    I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

    So to my question:

    Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
    14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
  • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
    by leaseholder64
    I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

    If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
    18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
  • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
    by slix_88
    Hi all

    First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
    14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
  • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
    by slix_88

    Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

    18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
  • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
    by MAPTON
    Not sure which section I should post this question!

    A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
    10-03-2020, 15:53 PM