supported housing question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    supported housing question

    I have received planning permission to change the use of my property to supported housing for people with mental health problems. I would be grateful for any help or guidance as to what i will need to satisy cqc criteria and any other tips on what i will need to do next? I am a RMN and hope to work in this property if it gets established.

    This is a bit specialist for this site - try the local mental health council/NHS trust

    Freedom at the point of zero............


      Interesting thread. A quick look on the internet shows that planning isnt required for a 'supported housing scheme' (please see below)

      Can someone confirm this please?

      It also sounds like a supported housing scheme is v similar to a care home for people with learning difficulties or mental health problems. Could someone confirm this also please?

      C3 Dwellinghouses - this class is formed of 3 parts:
      C3(a) covers use by a single person or a family (a couple whether married or not, a person related to one another with members of the family of one of the couple to be treated as members of the family of the other), an employer and certain domestic employees (such as an au pair, nanny, nurse, governess, servant, chauffeur, gardener, secretary and personal assistant), a carer and the person receiving the care and a foster parent and foster child.
      C3(b): up to six people living together as a single household and receiving care e.g. supported housing schemes such as those for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems.
      C3(c) allows for groups of people (up to six) living together as a single household. This allows for those groupings that do not fall within the C4 HMO definition, but which fell within the previous C3 use class, to be provided for i.e. a small religious community may fall into this section as could a homeowner who is living with a lodger.


        Hi all

        I've spoken to the planning department

        You dont need planning to set up a supported housing scheme!

        Also, you dont need planning for change between C3 and C4 use!


          Keep in mind some LPAs (Manchester City Council for example) have Article 4 directions in place to remove the permitted development rights for this- ie in Manchester you will need planning permission to change from C3 to C4.


          Latest Activity