building regs completion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building regs completion

What enforecement can building control take if i dont have a completion statement?

I got a builder to do a loft for me but the completion statement wasnt given as the checks werent made - although i paid for the building reg fees

And how can the building reg department prove things like the following:
    - depth of foundations meeting min requirements
    - min insulation requirments
    - steel beams positioned and supported correctly
    - sound proofing

Would they start digging and going through the walls to find out?

They've asked for the completion statement, so not sure what i should do now, please advise, thanks

Not totally sure about enforcement of loft extensions, though there are time limits, but...

Originally posted by medlock View Post
    And how can the building reg department prove things like the following:
    - depth of foundations meeting min requirements
    - min insulation requirments
    - steel beams positioned and supported correctly
    - sound proofing

Would they start digging and going through the walls to find out?
    In a word, yes.

The normal way would be interim inspections at each stage in a build - e.g., they may visit to look at foundations before you cover them up.

If you have covered them up, I believe that they can require you to dig a sufficient number of test pits to demonstrate that your foundations meet their requirements. And it happens.

Often there are bits and pieces that builders/architects like to get done "before their next visit", which may mean they are bending a rule slightly, but generally you don't want to play games with the biggies.

Others may have more to say on this, as my knowledge is through experience not theory here.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Oh thanks for the useful info!

Let's assume they dont like what they see and I cant afford to rectify the problem, if the cost is too high

What enforcement powers do they possess? Similar to planning enforcement? Is building regs enforcement common? You only seem to here about planning enforcement

Comment

It will be down to you to demonstrate compliance, not for Building Control to open up and investigate.

I suspect that their attitude will be that if you could afford to convert the loft, then you can afford to do it properly.

The foundations will need to be sufficient to support the additional loads being imposed by the extra floor which is why they are asking about the foundations. Your structural design should contain this.

Worst case they could condem the building if it's structurally un-sound.

As with Planning there is a period of time after which things are accepted (structural issues aside) however, a non-compliant or incomplete Building Control file will devalue a property at point of sale.
        There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Cant they fine me? Or come into the property and rip it up?

Many thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Chimney pot gas compliance
            by Perfectgame
            Out home is a Leasehold ‘house’ jutting out from a refurbished Grade2* building comprising 55 apartments. Ours is the only one with gas supply to the C19th chimney. We had a gas fire recently installed, but the chimney pot did not comply with the gas fire. According to the freeholder the existing...
            23-03-2020, 15:11 PM
          • Reply to Chimney pot gas compliance
            by AndrewDod
            Is this the first gas fire in this spot -- why does it have a gas supply?
            If you plan to make some amendment to your flat why do you feel other lessees should pay the cost?

In this whole thread I think we need to be careful of words -- "responsibility" versus "rights"...
            23-03-2020, 17:49 PM
            by JK0
            I wouldn't argue IIWY. Plenty of freeholders not only charge lessees for doing the job, but bung on hundreds in fees also. Sounds like you have consent to do it yourself, doesn't it?
            23-03-2020, 15:48 PM
            by Interlaken
            What does it say in your lease about walls, roofs and structures outside the confines of your 'house' - that is where the answer lies. Ask the Freeholder to explain why he thinks it is not his responsibility. Usually it is the freeholder's responsibility.
            23-03-2020, 15:31 PM
          • Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Clulass
            I realise its not the best time to consider a development project given that the world is about to shut down and maybe end, but it helps distract me, from our impending doom.

So to my question:

Am I right in thinking that there is no CIL payable.....IF.... you are converting...
            14-03-2020, 21:29 PM
          • Reply to Question on Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
            by Interlaken
            CIL payments depend on which local authority you are in. In my area of work and having a Neighbourhood Plan in place 25% of CIL did go to the plan area for use in the community but suddenly our new Unitary Authority banned this so CIL goes into one big pot to be bid for. This does not please me and...
            23-03-2020, 09:34 AM
          • 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hi all

First time poster here after lurking on these forums for the past week. I've just put an offer on a large 800+ sqft 1 bedroom flat and was hoping to get your input with regards to the Building Regulations. For a moment, I am assuming the landlord / freeholder may refuse consent under...
            14-03-2020, 14:46 PM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by leaseholder64
            I think there may already have been an unsafe modification, in that the kitchen door seems to have been removed. I'd expect that to be a fire door.

If this is on the 27th floor, I'd say you were definitely creating an unsafe inner room, as the escape root passes through two high risk ...
            18-03-2020, 10:13 AM
          • Reply to 1 bed to 2 bed conversion
            by slix_88
            Hello

Sorry, thought I'd bump this! I'd be very keen to get any input on this.

Thanks,
            Simon
            18-03-2020, 01:03 AM
          • RICs Valuations or Estate Agents Appraisal
            by MAPTON
            Not sure which section I should post this question!

A house in a very good residential location - normal 3 bed semi's sell for £330k (recent sale a few doors away) - this would be a standard 2 double bed with a box room and a family bathroom. The adjacent semi, on a corner plot has...
            10-03-2020, 15:53 PM
          Working...
          X