Converting house to flats- what's required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting house to flats- what's required?

Looking for advice from anyone who has done this successfully please.

Got a standard 2 bedroom semidetached house I rent out in a "letty" sort of area. The layout of the house is such that it would lend itself very neatly to a conversion to two selfcontained flats with seperate entrances without destroying the character of the house. Plenty of off road parking. Downstairs is virtually that already, would just need one door blocking off, upstairs would need a bit more work, kitchen fitting in a bedroom, seperate heating, the other converting to a bedsit, seperate electric meter etc.

I already have permission to let from BS.

What else would be involved????

If "BS" is your building society, then they would also need to approve the conversion works.

You'd need to get building control involved to ensure the works are done to the right standard - that can be a biggie; in particular providing for adequate sound insulation between the two new properties.

You also need planning permission for the change of use.

Comment

As it is semi-detached then you'll need to check the fire compartmentation [in the loft] between the existing buildings. This is a Building Regs requirement but if there is currently insufficient compartmentation then remidail works MAY fall under the Party Wall Act.

What are you planning on doing with the converted flats? If you're definately not going to sell them for 10-years then you don't need to worry about NHBC certs. If you may sell them within 10-years then NHBC certs (or similar) will be needed.

Check with your accountant to see if you can claim VAT back.

Finally, you'll need to consider the long term lease arrangements if you sell one or more of the flats.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

[QUOTE=mk1fan;285432]What are you planning on doing with the converted flats? If you're definately not going to sell them for 10-years then you don't need to worry about NHBC certs. If you may sell them within 10-years then NHBC certs (or similar) will be needed.

Check with your accountant to see if you can claim VAT back.[QUOTE=mk1fan;285432]

IME you would not need NHBC certs. I have converted 30-40 units from houses over the past 10 yrs - mostly for immediate sale. Building guarantees have never been required. The last few had "professional certificates" but these were never actually supplied to any of the purchasers as they were not requested. Have recently checked requirements with my bank and my solicitors in relation to a new project. They agree these are not required.

At least a significant proportion of VAT should be at 5% if you have planning permission because you are creating a new unit.
        Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Nice thread - several questions if you'd be so kind:

1. What do you mean by 5% vat? If we're paying 20% vat for our materials, can we claim back 15%, thus making 5%?
          2. Would this apply for companies as well as indiaviduals?
          3. Is the VAT for new builds zero? If so, is it zero for both individuals and companies?
          4. Is the 10 year NHBC only required for new build flats?
          5. What are the cheapest companies providing 10 year certs?

Thank you!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X