Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling house with prior structural works

Hi there,

I am selling a property that has had structural alterations done (knocking a lounge/parlor into a through lounge. This was done prior to purchase, and on the valuation the valuer put:

The original dining room and lounge have been converted into one large living room (more than 10 years ago). We assume the necessary consents exists.

Now we come to sell it and the buyers solicitor is kicking up a fuss.

What is the rule and the legislation affecting old building works - our local Estate Agent mentioned that there is a statute of limitations of sorts on this so after 6 or 7 years it does not matter.

Any help (especially quick) is appreciated.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Any works which were carried out with have had to comply with the building regulations in force at that time. If they did not then the works were carried out unlawfully. This is the case regardless of when the works were carried out.

so, in a nutshell.

If there were no building regulations when the works were carried out then no building regulations consent was, or is, required.

If there were regulations in force when the works were carried out and the works were done lawfully then the local authority will have a record of it.

If there were regulations in force when the works were carried out and the works were not done lawfully then the local authority may be able to regularise the works.

In the worst case scenario you can be required to remove the works.

Best speak to your local authority building control officer.

You or your solicitor should have checked that the valuers assumptions were correct, these are standard assumptions.
    NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X