Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire escapes ?

Good morning,
    I am considering purchasing a large 6 bedroom house on 4 floors that will split really easily into two 3 bedroom flats. Could anyone tell me if the upper flat will require an external fire escape?
    Many thanks - first posting so I thought I would keep it brief - plenty more questions to come !!!!

I think you will need fire access.. This is not a planning matter though (although permission will be needed for an external staircase) so I advise that before you do any drawings for a planning application speak to the Council's Building Control Officer. He/she should give you useful advice..

PETER

Comment

What the building regulations say, in a nutshell, is that buildings must have adequate means of escape. The regulations are not prescriptive, the reason for that is because prescriptive regulations would stifle design and innovation, in other words all buildings would be the same.

It is up to you to demonstrate that there are adequate means of escape and there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are what are called "Approved Documents" to the regulations. These are not the regulations, but they do provide solutions which are "deemed to satisfy" the regulations. In regards to fire you should look at Approved Document B which you can download here http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1130508 A second means of escape wouild be one way of complying, but bear in mind that the stairs should also comply with Part K (download from the same site).

Note that on the same page changes to these regulations are proposed, so it may be that by the time you apply for consent thinbgs will have changed.

I assume that you are getting a survey done? If so ask the surveyor to comment on your proposals. This is not the sort of work you should consider, in my opinion, without a Chartered Building Surveyor or Architect to advise you anyway.
      NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning rules for canopies - help please
        vmart
        We want to install a patio canopy above a patio door leading to our garden. We have been looking at different options including verandas. To clarify the structure will only have a roof (glass as we believe polycarbonate roofs create too much noise when it rains) and posts to support it. We've discarded...
        17-10-2019, 12:17 PM
      • Reply to Planning rules for canopies - help please
        pilman
        You have already answered your own question by acknowledging that there is no permitted development rights for a flat.

That means all development needs to be granted planning permission by the local planning authority.

The only concession is that a householder application costs...
        17-10-2019, 12:32 PM
      • Planning application not decided for 4 years
        lucylee
        I have a planning application which has been sitting undecided for 4+ years which I believed has been approved.

I've done some of the development as I was lead to believe planning was authorised as additional information was requested at the time and supplied.
        I had nothing to request...
        15-10-2019, 20:12 PM
      • Reply to Planning application not decided for 4 years
        pilman
        When the application had not been decided within the 8 week period allowed for after an application has been verified by the local planning authority, the applicant can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate to have the matter decided on appeal against non determination of the application.
        That is...
        17-10-2019, 12:25 PM
      • Adverse possession
        michael8626
        Hi

If somebody was occupying land in adverse possession for a period of say 2005 to 2015 but never made a claim and then the land owner used the land for some time in 2016, then the original person in AP occupied from 2017 to date could they still claim AP with the Land Registry?
        11-10-2019, 13:38 PM
      • Reply to Adverse possession
        Jon66
        There are transitional rules, it's in a practice direction. The dates are v important. Just google it....
        14-10-2019, 02:02 AM
        michael8626
        Also Jon, I think I might have my dates wrong and this relates to just before this act was passed, so I might be under the old AP rules, did they differ much under the new system?...
        13-10-2019, 23:20 PM
        michael8626
        That’s great Jon, thanks. I will have a read. Am I right in thinking the law changed regarding AP around 2002/2003 or was that just for unregistered land?...
        13-10-2019, 23:12 PM
        Jon66
        Perhaps your solicitor should respond to the other side drawing their attention to the additional requirements the applicant will have to fulfil under the LRA 2002 Schedule 6 paragraph 5, because any application under para 1 will be vigorously defended as neither do they fulfil that criteria either....
        13-10-2019, 21:40 PM
        michael8626
        Yes, I think that’s where we are at. Bring the situation to a head or hopefully to a close....
        13-10-2019, 21:22 PM
      Working...
      X