Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always Problems
    replied
    It sounds to me that your mother-in-law wants the "bun and the halfpenny" you end up making life easy for her and getting saddled with a morgage on a building which you would not live in and moving into the main house which you would not own. And should anything happen to her she could leave her assets to the cats home.
    Is the smallholding making a profit, with 15 acres and stables there is room for more stables, and could become a little profitable Equestrian Enterprise which would help to pay for the proposed morgage (providing its not full of your own horses)
    If she is finding it difficult and wants you to take the house off her hands (but not the land and stables) why not suggest that you get a 21 year lease on all of it, with the provision that she could live rent free in the proposed converted building.
    This way as a secure tenant you could then get a morgage to buy the house. But you also need to remember that even if a council planner has indicated that you will get planning permission they can change their mind as soon as they get back to the planning office.

Leave a comment:

• quarterday
    replied
    house/outbuildings etc

between yourselves why dont you get an application in for conversion of the outbuilding into resi; and in the event you are successful agree some sort of figure to buy the outbuilding, for which a loan could be raised. You may not get a loan from a conventional mortgage lender until such time that the place is converted and habitable but a clearing bank would probably lend the costs of conversion with the security of the site of the outbuildings with consent up to the time the conversion is done; especially if the mother with such a valuable house was to prepared to act as guarantor.

Leave a comment:

• aalindo
    replied
    I'll be honest, i don't fully understand what you are suggesting. To clarify, there is no dispute here. A caveat on being granted planning permission is going to be that the annexe and main house cannot be seperated (i.e. sold seperately). We are all in agreement that the ideal solution, and one which we were hoping would be possible/legal, would something along the lines of her gifting us two thirds of the property, then re-mortgaging (all 3 of us on documents but onlt my wife and i actually paying). It is a solution like this that we are not sure whether or not is legal etc.

She has a small sum outstanding on the mortgage which she plans to clear once full planning permission is granted. What is the process for gifting the two thirds? I take it it will need to happen prior to the three of us re-mortgaging? Are we liable to any form of taxation or are we exempt as it is our main and only residence?
    Forgive my ignorance!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Why not negotiate a deal whereby:
    a. you buy the house and mortgage it back to her; and
    b. she retains the outbuilding, then converts it into a self-contained annexe?

Leave a comment:

• aalindo
    started a topic Moving in with mum...legal question?

Moving in with mum...legal question?

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong place.

My mother in law has a small-holding. The property comprises a farmhouse, stables, 15 acres of grazing land and a redundant brick outbuilding. My mother in law is finding it increasingly difficult to manage the house and land and wants my wife and i to take the house off her hands. It is valued the house at 400,000-500,000 pounds. There is no way we would be able to buy the house off her for that amount of money. Therefore, we have approached the local Council about planning permission to convert the redundant outbuilding into a granny annexe. The Council see no reason why they wouldn’t grant permission. However, my wife and I would need to raise a mortgage in order to fund the conversion, but my mother in law also wants to remain a home-owner throughout her retirement.

My question, therefore, is is it legally possible for a) my wife and I to move in with my mother in law‘s and raise a mortgage on her house and b) are all 3 of us considered co-owners?

Thanks in advance.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by AKRS
    Hi All, I could really use some guidance in a matter relating to the above. We were told by our agency handling our property that we needed to obtain a licence through the council. I did my research and asked all the relevant questions and found out that the licence will cost 650 for five years. Sounds...
    29-06-2020, 10:03 AM
  • Reply to 5 Year Private Property Licence Ended After One Year
    by Always Problems
    I made a complaint to the ombudsman which was successful. My council was really annoyed as they had refused to show me a copy of a document and the Ombudsman forced them to send her a copy which she forwarded to me.
    09-07-2020, 16:07 PM
  • Planning permission
    by dizzymill
    I am wondering if anyone can answer my question please?

There is a plot for sale in my area that has planning permission granted on it. The thing is, this was granted when the site was larger than it now is as the vendor has fenced a section of it off and built himself a log cabin style...
    07-07-2020, 18:58 PM
  • Reply to Planning permission
    by Always Problems
    In this case I would ask a Chartered Town Planner, Don't contact the council apart from looking on their Planning Portal
    09-07-2020, 16:03 PM
    by pilman
    The plans provided with the planning application will show the position and size of the house granted planning permission, as well as showing the extent of the land identified on the site plan.

The planning permission would have taken into account the area available for garden, and parking...
    08-07-2020, 12:27 PM
    by dizzymill
    Hi Tipper. It was granted for one dwelling but vendor has since built the cabin and fenced off the plot he is selling saying it has planning. But the planning was granted for the original whole site before he built his cabin that he lives in .
    08-07-2020, 10:01 AM
    by Tipper
    It probably depends on what the permission was for and how many dwellings, etc.
    Also when pp was achieved as they run out after 3 years in most if not all cases.

You can check on the local planning online to see the details, drawings, dates, etc.
    08-07-2020, 09:35 AM
  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
    by Tipper
    No not too late. We had the same situation for our three holiday lets.

We pressed the installer to register the new boilers with Gas Safe who in turn send certification to the local Building Regs which is what they are supposed to do upon installation, assuming they are qualified and 'Gas...
    06-07-2020, 18:35 PM
  • Building Regulations Certificate
    by kennyj52
    Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but what are the circumstances to obtain a Buildings Regulations Certificate? For example building a house, an extension, fitting a new boiler, installing a new light fitting, replacing a light bulb etc?
    I currently rent out 2 properties and own
    01-05-2020, 12:27 PM
  • Reply to Building Regulations Certificate
    by kennyj52
    Thanks for the advice all. I've had 2 boilers replaced by different installers over the last 6 years, but not received a Building Regulations Certificate from either one. I didn't ask the installers about it at the time as I was unaware of the need. Although they did provide Gas Safe Reports as requested,...
    05-07-2020, 12:27 PM
Working...
X