Building Regulations- must old stairs now comply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Regulations- must old stairs now comply?

I am having issues with my local building control in relation to a replacement staircase.

The property is Georgian built circa 1820s and is a very small terrace house in central London.

The original staircase was destroyed by fire in the 1980s (a great shame) but was replaced by a staircase of identical pitch (45 degrees) but in a mirror image configuration.

I now wish to put back in a replica of the original (and restore the original "mirror image" configuration), as part of larger renovations to the property. (Luckily our neighbours still have an original staircase for us to design the replica from).

Now my question is this: our current stairs have a pitch of 45 degs, the proposed replica original stairs have a pich of 45 degrees.

Building control are saying that because I am replacing stairs, they are treated as new and therefore must conform to new build requirements of a max incline of 42 degrees. Trouble is, my architect is struggling to make a lesser pitch fit.

Having read reg 4(2) of the Building regulations, am I right in saying that because, in relation to the pitch, the building work is no more unsatisfactory than before, I should be allowed to retain a 45 degree pitch?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
    jaymondo
    Under Part 3 of the GPDO - Change of Use

Class M allows for

(a) a change of use of a building from—

iii) a mixed use combining use as a dwellinghouse with—

(aa) a use as a betting office or pay day loan shop, or

(bb) a use falling...
    21-07-2017, 16:57 PM
  • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
    pilman
    Since this Class of development requires prior approval it seems logical to seek approval for what you are proposing.
    The LPA will either accept that this falls within Class M or not.
    21-07-2017, 19:33 PM
  • Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
    Myohmy
    Hi All,

I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
    18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
  • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
    Myohmy
    Thank you Al,

I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
    19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
    flyingfreehold
    bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
    19-07-2017, 03:17 AM
    nukecad
    Your initial problem seems to be that neither of you knows where the boundry actually is.

Without knowing that then you can't know if the wall is on the boundry, on their land, or on your land.
    (The same goes for any foundations).

Also the surveyor in any disputed PW...
    18-07-2017, 14:43 PM
    MrShed
    I'm not an expert in this area, but, I read the situation very differently to you. I feel they have chanced their arm and are now playing the "lawyer" card to try and bluff you into backing off. I dont think they know anything you dont, in fact I suspect they know very little about the law...
    18-07-2017, 07:17 AM
  • New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
    MisterB
    a couple of years ago my daughter bought a small end of terraced house. within the legal pack it mentioned that the adjoin terraced houses had 'access' down the side of her house and across the back - which isnt unusual and isn't a problem. there was no vehicular access as the side of the house was...
    08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
  • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
    MisterB
    that's the situation perfectly explained in a much better way than I obviously did originally, there is a small private courtyard to the rear of the properties, but as you say, there is no 'privacy' of a garden, though it is privately owned!

on street parking is a nightmare so it has certainly...
    15-07-2017, 07:43 AM
  • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
    buzzard1994
    the way I read this is that this end of terrace house has a patch of land at the side and then another house, probably the end of a different terrace. Those two houses have amically agreed to use this land, which is half owned by one and half by the other, as a drive.

There is a separate...
    13-07-2017, 20:49 PM
Working...
X