Living in a Caravan / Portakabin on my Land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in a Caravan / Portakabin on my Land

I posted about my problem in that the padlock to the gates of my land kept getting broken into in a separate thread:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=19695

I have not been able to find out who is breaking my lock, but have an idea that I want all your inputs on:-

I’ve thought of moving my caravan (the type you toe to the back of a car) onto the land and given its summer, actually living in it. Or buying a Portakabin and placing it on the land.

My only concern is that do I need planning permission or my local authority’s consent in any way – say for the purposes of paying Council tax etc.

I heard in the news sometime ago that local authorities are obliged to allow people to use land as a camp site for those who have caravans, but I think that is in instances where the local authority makes available its own land (i.e. public land) however does it extend to land such as mine, i.e. private land?

A similar, though not identical, question came up before in this thread :

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hlight=caravan

There should not be a problem putting the caravan on your land, but if you then move into it, I think yes, your council may well have something to say about it. Apart from anything else, I imagine they will want to know what facilities there are for disposal of rubbish and emptying of the chemical toilet, etc.

Why don't you ring them up and ask them if it's OK to use your caravan on your own land as a temporary summer residence? If you stress the temporary nature of the arrangement and that it is not your main or principal residence, you might be OK.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Is your land:
      a. in a Conservation Area; or
      b. subject to any other known TCPA matters or registrations?
      For what was it last used? It can't have been derelict forever.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Jeffrey, in reply to your questions:
        a. in a Conservation Area
        No, it isn't.

b. subject to any other known TCPA matters or registrations?
        No, neither my land, nor the surrounding businesses are subject to any planning applications.

For what was it last used? It can't have been derelict forever.
        The last structure that was on the land, was in the late 1950's and it was a tobacco shop.

Comment

You might be best advised to consult the Local Planning Authority, before irrevocably moving to the site.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I proceed with moving my caravan onto the land and living in it and if the council finds out (which in time they will) they will have quite a job on their hand to move me out of my own land, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BobG View Post
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I proceed with moving my caravan onto the land and living in it and if the council finds out (which in time they will) they will have quite a job on their hand to move me out of my own land, right?
              On your argument, anyone could breach Planning Control at any time in any way-as long as the breach was on his/her own land!

Comment

Originally posted by BobG View Post
                I expect they will have a plan. It will probably involve prosecuting you for breach of the planning consent laws.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Please don't add to your troubles. I really think you ought to contact the council and ask them about moving into a caravan on your land temporarily. Get them on your side.

What other action have you taken?

Comment

I haven't taken any other action.

My local authority says that it will take them 8 weeks to assess my application. That's too long.

Comment

If I were in your shoes, I would at least put up a copy of my title document and contact the Police about the stolen padlocks. Get a crime reference number.

My original suggestion to camp out, meant in a tent. You don't need council permission for that.

Comment

You Maybe able to get Temporary (up to 3 years) permission.
                        See http://www.joalleisure.com/mobile-ho...riculture.html

Comment

Is there not some rule about "if its on wheels the council can't do much". Also farmers can legally set up a camp site for up to 6 caravans without planning permission. Move it on and what is the worst that can happen. They will write to you and tell you to stop it, which you being a good law abiding citizen will do!
                          My concern would be that the phantom car stealer would tow the van away off "his" land...
                          Buy a van for a couple of hundred pounds and fit a tracking device. When it is "stolen" call the Police....
                          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
                            jaymondo
                            Under Part 3 of the GPDO - Change of Use

Class M allows for

(a) a change of use of a building from—

iii) a mixed use combining use as a dwellinghouse with—

(aa) a use as a betting office or pay day loan shop, or

(bb) a use falling...
                            21-07-2017, 16:57 PM
                          • Reply to Change of Use Permitted Development - Class M
                            pilman
                            Since this Class of development requires prior approval it seems logical to seek approval for what you are proposing.
                            The LPA will either accept that this falls within Class M or not.
                            21-07-2017, 19:33 PM
                          • Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
                            Myohmy
                            Hi All,

I have a question. I think I have some sneaky neighbours and would like to hear from you on experience and knowledge if you can.

Neighbours at back started works to an extension (the properties are grade 2 listed). I went and spoke to them as it is not clear where...
                            18-07-2017, 06:54 AM
                          • Reply to Is party all notice still valid? What to do next?
                            Myohmy
                            Thank you Al,

I contacted the recommended surveyor, but he is too far away. Thanks though. I've appointed another, I'm worried about the costs as he said it can cost in the region of £1000-2000. I have to appoint my own as their's has done a runner and the neighbours haven't identified...
                            19-07-2017, 22:12 PM
                            flyingfreehold
                            bizarrely if properly appointed a party wall surveyor cant just walk away. He is stuck with the job once appointed. I have no connection with him but I would suggest you got help from someone who knows the law backwards. The best party wall surveyor I know is Harold Coyne FRICS of Coyne and Co who goes...
                            19-07-2017, 03:17 AM
                            nukecad
                            Your initial problem seems to be that neither of you knows where the boundry actually is.

Without knowing that then you can't know if the wall is on the boundry, on their land, or on your land.
                            (The same goes for any foundations).

Also the surveyor in any disputed PW...
                            18-07-2017, 14:43 PM
                            MrShed
                            I'm not an expert in this area, but, I read the situation very differently to you. I feel they have chanced their arm and are now playing the "lawyer" card to try and bluff you into backing off. I dont think they know anything you dont, in fact I suspect they know very little about the law...
                            18-07-2017, 07:17 AM
                          • New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
                            MisterB
                            a couple of years ago my daughter bought a small end of terraced house. within the legal pack it mentioned that the adjoin terraced houses had 'access' down the side of her house and across the back - which isnt unusual and isn't a problem. there was no vehicular access as the side of the house was...
                            08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
                          • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
                            MisterB
                            that's the situation perfectly explained in a much better way than I obviously did originally, there is a small private courtyard to the rear of the properties, but as you say, there is no 'privacy' of a garden, though it is privately owned!

on street parking is a nightmare so it has certainly...
                            15-07-2017, 07:43 AM
                          • Reply to New Driveway - rights of access by neighbours
                            buzzard1994
                            the way I read this is that this end of terrace house has a patch of land at the side and then another house, probably the end of a different terrace. Those two houses have amically agreed to use this land, which is half owned by one and half by the other, as a drive.

There is a separate...
                            13-07-2017, 20:49 PM
                          Working...
                          X