External Stairs to First Floor Flat - PP required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External Stairs to First Floor Flat - PP required?

Hi there,

I live on the first floor flat of a converted house with only one flat below. I wish to have an external staircase built to give direct access to my garden (which can currnetly only be reached by going downstairs out front door and round the side). I have costs to have this done:

1, i'm a leaseholder and so would i need permission from the freeholder? Would he have any reason to not agree it? are there fees that i would have to pay on his behalf?
    2, do i need Planning permission to do this??

Thanks
    K

Originally posted by kafjfr View Post
    Hi there,

I live on the first floor flat of a converted house with only one flat below. I wish to have an external staircase built to give direct access to my garden (which can currnetly only be reached by going downstairs out front door and round the side). I have costs to have this done:

1, i'm a leaseholder and so would i need permission from the freeholder? Would he have any reason to not agree it? are there fees that i would have to pay on his behalf?
    2, do i need Planning permission to do this??

Thanks
    K

1. Definitely. Could refuse but read your lease and see what it states.
    He may ask you for a premium to give his consent and any legal work involved to alter the lease will be down to you.

2. You will require Building Regulations and may also require p/p.

More importantly, what do the lessees of the ground floor think about your proposal? Do they have any objections?
    Kikuyu

Comment

Yes, you do need planning permission because you are altering the external appearance of the building.

Comment

You definitely require the freeholder's permission.

Are you intending to knock a door-shaped hole through an external wall or is there already a door but no stairs? How will you resolve the issue of ongoing maintenance of these stairs? Will the stairs create a shadow over your fellow lessee's windows, where none previously existed?

If your freeholder sensibly obtain exploratory professional advice I think you could end up paying for that initial cost, as well as
        • Cost of professional advice sought by freeholder on design of this structure
        • Cost of solicitor to amend the lease
        • Cost of increased buildings insurance premiums
        Not forgetting
        • Cost of obtaining planning permission / building control certification
        And obviously the build cost.

Why do you want to create another way into your flat for potential burglars?

Comment

Hmm it could end up being quite expensive then!

I want to create access to my garden which i believe to add value to the property... is this not necessarily so?

Could the cost to alter the lease be taken into account when we extend the lease? therefore cutting costs i.e. not having to pay for it twice?

Comment

Originally posted by kafjfr View Post
            Could the cost to alter the lease be taken into account when we extend the lease? therefore cutting costs i.e. not having to pay for it twice?
            Yes. All these changes can be consolidated at same time (IF all parties agree!)
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X