Develop over sewage pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Develop over sewage pipe?

I want to build an extension on the side of the property, but I believe that it would be over the sewage pipe (I think they run from the back of the house to the front).

I am wonder if developement is permitted if there are sewage pipes below?.

There would no building on top of man hole covers which are at the rear and front of the property.

Any advice?

Originally posted by rajeshk4u View Post
    I want to build an extension on the side of the property, but I believe that it would be over the sewage pipe (I think they run from the back of the house to the front).

I am wonder if developement is permitted if there are sewage pipes below?.

There would no building on top of man hole covers which are at the rear and front of the property.

Any advice?
    The pipe may be either adopted (by the Water/Sewerage Company) or not.
    See your deeds/LR details.
    A. Is there a plan showing a drainage easement along the route of the pipe?
    B. Do any deeds (esp. pre-registration) mention such easement or general rights there?
    C. Is there a water/drainage search result (nowadays called CON29DW) with those deeds? If so, it might reveal more statutory information about the pipe (and whether it is adopted).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I did have a case where the water co required a 3m easement each side of the sewer, so be careful!! Contact your water co ASAP...

PETER

Comment

The pipes are probably private domestic soil drains perhaps picking up a row of properties to the rear .....The manholes have been put in place where there is a change of direction/roding purposes before continuing into the Public Sewer which is likely to be in the road.
        Lift the manholes and take measurements from ground level to invert of pipe (bottom of drain channel) and go along to see a building inspector at your local council to discuss your proposal.......He will insist the foundations are deeper than the invert of pipes running through the proposed extension and for them to be protected...i.e. when the the concrete foundations are poured, shuttering put in place to stop concrete each side of pipes so there is no pressure placed upon them......When construction takes place, the brickwork can then be supported by concrete lintels to bridge over the pipes which bear down on each side of the foundation.

Bill

Comment

Sewage Pipes

Many new build properties have their sewage drains running under the house, it is not uncommon, but these are private drains. If the drains belong to the Water Authorities, then it requires permission, which might be difficult to obtain.

Water Authorities are very reluctant to allow anyone to build over the sewerage pipes, as access then becomes a problem and it is impossible to renew the pipes when they come to the end of their life, or require upgrading to support larger volumes.
          Last edited by wastetech; 20-05-2009, 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X