For what alterations to leasehold flat do I need consent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what alterations to leasehold flat do I need consent?

Hello , over the years i've lived in my leasehold flat i've made a few changes, wanting to sell now i want to make sure everything is up to date. Also theres still a few things i want to do before i move.

Changes ive made so far are :-

Replaced rotten door with a UPVC one
    Fitted a car port
    Replaced bathroom suite
    Replaced kitchen
    Fitted Iron Gates
    Made access to the loft as storage via a proper staircase rather than a ladder

Changes i want to make
    Install central heating
    Install UPVC windows

What i'm asking is what do i have to request permission to do on a leasehold flat, my title is absolute, so will i need permission for any of the stuff i've done ( mainly worried about the staircase ) And will i need permission for the other stuff.

Also , can i get a grant from the freeholder , after all i'm improving his property no ?

Thanks in advance.

1. Forget 'grants' from f/r. There are no such things!
    2. Read your lease. Which (if any) of your alterations is a breach of any "no alterations without consent" clause?
    3. Absolute leasehold title (at HMLR) simply means the guarantee of your leasehold title's validity and the validity of the freehold out of which it was granted. This has nothing to do with lease covenants.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Oh ok , im guessing every lease is different and every freeholder defines differnt things that can be altered then , i was thinking it was a generic thing.

Ill have a thumb through the lease tonight and see whats what, is it common to need permission for a lot of the things i mentioned out of interest ?

Cheers for the help

Comment

Likely to need consent: carport, gates, central heating, windows.
        But read your lease re ALL points.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Picket fence
          by toulon
          I want to turf my lawn, plant shrubs and erect a 500 mm high wooden picket fence.
          I have been shielding due to health issues and tenants who rent in adjacent properties let their dogs foul on my lawn.
          I want to use the garden safely, its part of my leasehold and deed. The lease says...
          22-01-2021, 14:34 PM
        • Reply to Picket fence
          by theartfullodger
          Front or back lawn? Or both?

Councils may have guidance on height of fences in different areas...
          22-01-2021, 15:12 PM
        • Reply to Picket fence
          by Jon66
          Why not ask the freeholders permission? That would seem the most pragmatic solution....
          22-01-2021, 14:42 PM
        • Add a porch
          by Arvid Li
          I want to add a porch to external door of my house
          Do I need to request for inspection the Porch (the Porch is under exempt from building regulation approval) by Building Control Surveyor?
          If yes, could you advice me the procedure of request for inspection, Many Thanks
          12-01-2021, 08:34 AM
        • Reply to Add a porch
          by Echoes
          Does this apply to conservatory or orangery at the back of the house as well? Do we need some kind of permission or certificate before/after the development if its not affecting any of your neighbours? Thanks
          21-01-2021, 18:13 PM
        • Reply to Excessive garage height
          by Interlaken
          Take photos and write to the Chief Planning Officer giving full details and say why you are unsatisfied at the lack of consultation and the outcome. If you don't get satisfaction write to the Planning Inspectorate - find out where yours is. If you win your case the council have to pay to have the...
          21-01-2021, 17:25 PM
        • Excessive garage height
          by Neil2011
          Dear All,

The end of my garden backs onto a private access lane. At the bottom of a majority of gardens there are garages that back onto the lane the garages are between 3-3.5 meters in height. This is mirrored on the opposite side of the lane.

The house opposite mine...
          21-01-2021, 08:35 AM
          by Neil2011
          Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. After talking to the planning office it appears that three neighbours did receive notice via post back in 2019. They did not think it necessary to check the height mentioned in the plans .I find it strange that I did not even though I am obviously...
          21-01-2021, 12:09 PM
          by Interlaken
          I think that is disgraceful. I help run a community forum that polices planning app notices stringently...amongst other things....
          21-01-2021, 11:27 AM
        • Reply to Neighbour wants to use my planned extension to build double story extension.
          by Lawcruncher
          Your lease includes the garden. Unless the lease provides otherwise, this will include all the airspace over the ground. Accordingly, you have complete control over the airspace which will be above the proposed extension.
          21-01-2021, 10:08 AM
        Working...
        X