Does the 50% rule for extensions under PD include the original house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the 50% rule for extensions under PD include the original house?

My question is per the title.

I always thought that the rule was you could (subject to complying with other requirements and maximums) build on up to 50% of the land surrounding your house. However, someone told me today that the rule is that you can only build on up to 50% of the total plot (i.e. the original house would count towards the 50%, which'd potentially make the size of extension permitted considerably smaller).

I've just managed to answer my own question by referring to the excellent Planning Geek website: https://www.planninggeek.co.uk/gpdo/...se/extensions/

I was right!

Comment

Have you checked that you can use PD?

it’s been removed in many places

Comment

It's been 5 yrs or more since I properly looked a pd but it's NOT as simple as 50%.
        there are restrictions on height, distance from boundaries, whether is rear, side or front elevation or detached etc etc. Certain previous building works are also counted after a certain year but not before that year for example. I followed the government advice and guidance, planning portal maybe? Can't remember.

Comment

One can always look at the actual Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 where Schedule 2, Part 1, Class E refers to out-buildings.

The definition in Section E1, sub-section (b) leaves no doubt about what is to be taken into account when calculating the area of land that can be used to erect out-buildings.

Class E – buildings etc incidental to the enjoyment of a dwellinghouse

Permitted development

E. The provision within the curtilage of the dwellinghouse of—

(a)any building or enclosure, swimming or other pool required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwellinghouse as such, or the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of such a building or enclosure; or

(b)a container used for domestic heating purposes for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas.

Development not permitted

E.1 Development is not permitted by Class E if—

(b)the total area of ground covered by buildings, enclosures and containers within the curtilage (other than the original dwellinghouse) would exceed 50% of the total area of the curtilage (excluding the ground area of the original dwellinghouse);

Comment

Ask an architect… you’ll need one anyway…

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X