Converting a house into two flats

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Converting a house into two flats

    Hello fellow landlords,
    I have recently acquired a large house which has plenty of potential to convert into two flats.
    While we apply for planning permission, I wanted to know if there are available guides that advise on requirements to ensure that the build is current with regulation.
    Thank you,

    The Local Planning Authority will have an adopted Local Plan that lists the policies that will be taken into account when an application is made to convert a single dwelling into two separate dwellings.

    Room sizes are now taken into consideration following Government guide lines, as well as most LPA's requiring a minimum number of parking spaces and adequate amenity areas that provide sufficient space for outside use.

    Anyone you employ to draft the plans for the application should be aware that policies can differ from Authority to Authority, so check that whoever you employ is familiar with the LPA's specific policies regarding conversions.

    Table 1 - Minimum gross internal floor areas and storage (m²)

    National space standard table 1.jpg

    [2] Where a one person flat has a shower room rather than a bathroom, the floor area may be reduced from 39m² to 37m².


      Assuming you need a mortgage after the conversion you’ll need some form of structural warranty / PCC along with building control inspections. Both parties will want to inspect documents before you begin so should highlight any issues with your design.

      You need to spend some time and learn about compartment floors and walls as fire regs very important with separate dwellings.

      Similar with noise reduction, you’ll need sound and air testing at the end


        You'll also need separate meters for gas and lecky, separate mains water isolation points .....


          Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post

          You need to spend some time and learn about compartment floors and walls as fire regs very important with separate dwellings.
          I don't believe that you can practically and economically sort out building regs yourself on a first go basis without professional guidance. It is too complex. There are too many risks of making elementary mistakes which are very expensive to put right. The best way to learn this is to get a professional to prepare the documentation for you. Go down the Full Plans route (everything agreed before work commences).

          After you have project managed a couple of conversions you will be in a much better position to understand the requirements and even possibly prepare your own applications for similar projects. If the building regs officer spots that you are winging it they will almost certainly put you under extra scrutiny.

          Ensure that any plans provided don't only advise which regs need to be met but how to meet them in your circumstances.
          Assume I know nothing.


          Latest Activity