When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?

Hi all,

The question is in the title... there‘s a property which had asked for planning consent to replace its windows, this was refused, it went to appeal, the appeal was dismissed by the Inspector. Subsequently the windows were replaced regardless.

I understand there‘s a four year period and a ten year period before unauthorised works become lawful but I am not quite sure which one would apply?

The 4 year period seems to apply generally on developments in breach of planning controls (should be applicable here) and the 10 year period apparently applies to cases where planning conditions haven‘t been adhered to (in this case here there are no planning conditions to begin with)? So I‘m not sure which period would apply here...?

Many thanks for any pointers!

what is the context of your question? Is this your property? Or a property you are purchasing? Or other?

Comment

Since no planning permission was given for the operational development, which is what the change of windows would be defined as, no enforcement action can be taken after 4 years of the development being completed.

Then the development would be lawful, because no enforcement action was started in due time.

Comment

As above, unless it's a listed building, then I think it becomes a criminal offence.

Comment

With the hordes of NIMBY neighbours on every corner, it was a brave man who did that!.
          If it goes past 4 years with no enforcement action and one wanted to regularise the situation, an Application for a Certificate of Lawful Entitlement would be needed. That would require you to prove that the property was occupied for 4 years continuously. This is a legal process not a Planning one.

Comment

That would require you to prove that the property was occupied for 4 years continuously.
            All that needs to be proven for planning purposes is when the windows were installed. That has nothing to do with occupation of the house.

A separate matter would be whether building control approval was required and not applied for.
            With windows sometimes the installer of a new window will proved a FENSA certificate, which will have a date shown on it.
            Your FENSA certificate provides proof that your window and door installations:
            • Comply with Building Regulations
            • Use energy efficient products
            • Are registered with the local council
            If that did happen then that is conclusive evidence of when the operational development was completed and clear evidence that enforcement action cannot be taken by the local planning authority.

Under those circumstances an application for a Lawful Development Certificate would be pointless, because the evidence to support such an application would be the same FENSA document with a fee of £206 required.

Comment

What happens if the Lawful Development Certificate is applied for and refused but no enforcement action is taken? Can the Council take enforcement action related to the Lawful Development Certificate years' later or would they still need to take enforcement action based on the original planning application?

Comment

Originally posted by vmart View Post
                What happens if the Lawful Development Certificate is applied for and refused but no enforcement action is taken? Can the Council take enforcement action related to the Lawful Development Certificate years' later or would they still need to take enforcement action based on the original planning application?
                I'm not sure the refused planning application has anything to do with it (legally), you asked, they said no - end of.

The fact that it was done is not a breach of a planning condition is was unpermitted development which as stated by other users the council have 4 years normally (I don't think there is a time limit on listed buildings) so assuming it's beyond that I shouldn't worry. As/when you come to sell your solicitor can buy a indemnity policy for a few pounds if the buyer is unduly concerned.

Comment

Thank you Dan_Manchester.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Restrictive Covenants Freehold
                    by comm1985
                    Hello all

We are in the process of purchasing a freehold, and have been informed of restrictive covenants from a previous conveyancing in the 1950s as follows

"The plans and elevations of any private dwelling house and outbuildings intended to be erected on the plot shall...
                    18-01-2022, 18:32 PM
                  • Reply to Restrictive Covenants Freehold
                    by Lawcruncher
                    a) In your experience how common an issue is this? have we just been unlucky?

Snags with restrictive covenants are not exactly common, but they are not rare either.

b) If we do proceed and obtain an indemnity policy could it significantly affect salability in future?
                    19-01-2022, 23:39 PM
                    by comm1985
                    Lawcruncher,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive response.

Upon clarification it seems the contentious language that could cause us to breach is "and no building shall be commenced upon the plot until such surveyor shall have given a certificate in writing of such approval"...
                    19-01-2022, 22:05 PM
                  • Appeal made on Ground (E)
                    by IP MAN
                    Regarding an appeal made against EN on ground (e).

Should the appeal succeed does the 'immunity clock' start afresh, or does the original date of EN still stand?

thank you !
                    19-01-2022, 13:30 PM
                    by Lawcruncher
                    As to 1, my initial impression was that the intention was that the covenant should only extend to when the house was first built. However, we have to go by the wording. The first question is whether an extension is (a) a dwelling house and outbuilding, or (b) a dwelling house, or (c) an outbuilding....
                    19-01-2022, 09:13 AM
                    by comm1985
                    They suggested indemnity insurance

But I wanted to understand

1. How restrictive the wording is? (to me it sounds like it only applies to a brand new dwelling and not an extension, but I may be mistaken)

2. How effective an indemnity policy actually is, especially...
                    18-01-2022, 19:30 PM
                    by Neelix
                    What has your solicitor said?
                    18-01-2022, 18:45 PM
                  • Reply to Planning Permission
                    by Trevor62
                    Thanks Pillman, I guess I will engage with my surveyor to walk me through the conditions to gain perpetuity. Because the developement is close to a semi busy road conditions 7 & 8 are welcomed, to be sure that the building does not suffer from vibrations or excesive noise.

Many Tha...
                    17-01-2022, 21:01 PM
                  • Reply to Planning Permission
                    by pilman
                    No, that was not what was being stated.

You have to comply with the pre-development conditions before digging a single trench will accomplish the practical start of the development.

Only then will that work be lawful as the start of operational development, which would...
                    17-01-2022, 11:55 AM
                  • Planning Permission
                    by Trevor62
                    Just over a year ago I was granted planning permission to build a 2 storey detached house in my side garden. Their is a restrictive covenant on what I can build in the side garden so I have had to make an application to the upper lands tribunal to have the restiction either modified or removed....
                    12-01-2022, 21:38 PM
                  Working...
                  X