Sound insulation and fire protection in flats and retrospective building regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound insulation and fire protection in flats and retrospective building regulations

Hi,

I have recently bought a terraced house that was converted into 2 flats/maisonettes over 25 years ago. The building is about 100 years old. It has all been done formally and they have separate accounts for council tax purposes. Up until I purchased them two members of the same family lived in a maisonette each.

The maisonettes are over 4 floors. The lower one was originally a ground floor flat with a large garage below. However, this was converted (with building regs) about 10 years ago. The upper maisonette is over 2 floors and appear to never had anything major done to it. I am planning to put a dormer on the top flat and changing windows for french doors on both maisonettes meaning that I will need planning permission and building regs.

I have renovated various houses before but never flats due to the issues that arise with building regs and associated regulations.

I have been informed by a builder that if building regs become involved that MAY require the the building bringing up to date in regards to building regs, particularly in relation to sound insulation between floors and fire protection between floors. (I am already replacing windows that will be in accordance with building regs and rewiring both flats to include hard wired smoke alarms).

Does anybody have any knowledge and/or experience of this.

Will / can building regs insist on full sound proofing and fire proofing for all floors on both flats? (read online that they cannot insist on it being done but the website was several years old and could be out of date)

What is required for this and what is the approximate cost per square metre?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

I believe update to present building regs is only required on change of use. So your change to habitable from presumably non habitable use of the loft, might trigger it.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Thanks for the post. The loft is already used as habitable space (bedrooms) and has one dormer already so that should not trigger it if that is the case.

Comment

Get the BCO on site and ask them ….

Comment

Thanks Neelix

Comment

Does anybody else have anything to add

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Planning - Has the Job Stopped
              by Piffy
              Ia run a small business, my next door neighbour runs a similar business but in a much larger premises, They have a buyer for the site who has made planning application for a totally different use, which if granted will make my business more profitable as my bigger competition will have left.
              They...
              18-11-2021, 13:58 PM
            • Reply to Planning - Has the Job Stopped
              by Interlaken
              I find in my area that some planning decisions (simple non contentious ones) are taken quite quickly but more complex types that are not particularly beneficial to the community have hung around 2 years or so now for example 22 x 1 bed flats on a small site with no parking or outside space.
              26-11-2021, 10:12 AM
            • Valuation Office not responding
              by Euca1
              Hello

I recently converted a commercial property into 4 new flats. During the construction I contacted the VOA to appeal the non domestic rating and to inform them of a change of use. This was done back in July, I subsequently received an email from an officer who requested further information,...
              22-11-2021, 11:24 AM
            • Reply to Valuation Office not responding
              by Interlaken
              I think you'll find that Covid is the reason one way or another. I find that lots of local gov/gov staff have either resigned/taken redundancy/retired during the last year and they have not been replaced.

It is now nearly 2 years since I tried to get some land I purchased registered in...
              26-11-2021, 09:55 AM
            • Reply to When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?
              by vmart
              What happens if the Lawful Development Certificate is applied for and refused but no enforcement action is taken? Can the Council take enforcement action related to the Lawful Development Certificate years' later or would they still need to take enforcement action based on the original planning app...
              18-11-2021, 20:34 PM
            • When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?
              by ChrisDennison
              Hi all,

The question is in the title... there‘s a property which had asked for planning consent to replace its windows, this was refused, it went to appeal, the appeal was dismissed by the Inspector. Subsequently the windows were replaced regardless.

I understand there‘s...
              13-11-2021, 21:25 PM
              by Neelix
              Lots of planning departments have decided they can decide when they want and ignore the x weeks guidance.

lazy civil servants ….....
              18-11-2021, 18:09 PM
              by pilman
              Have you looked on the planning web-site to see if comments have been posted that will indicate the matter is still under consideration?
              18-11-2021, 15:27 PM
            • Mobile home planning permission?
              by Tipper
              Hi all,
              My neighbour has recently placed a mobile home in his field where he keeps 3 old horses.
              It’s in a field on the opposite side of the road from his house and garden and we overlook the field too. Bit of an eyesore really!
              Can he just do that without planning permission?...
              25-10-2021, 09:46 AM
            • Reply to Mobile home planning permission?
              by Piffy
              I was once told by a RTPI Planning Inspector that if someone makes a planning application when it is 3 days before the Planning Meeting the applicant can go to the planning office and ask to see the file. When I did this I was able to see "everything" from letters of objection which said...
              17-11-2021, 17:51 PM
            Working...
            X