Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loft Extension with external stairs

Dear Colleagues,

I am the freeholder of a building split in to two flats. I reside in the ground floor flat and the above flat is on a long lease.
    I want to obtain planning for a self contained loft extension flat with external stairs ( as I won’t be able to build access via the upstairs flat ). The upstairs flat already has a flight of stairs leading from the back exit to the separate enclosed garden downstairs.
    1) Any advice on what the first priority should be and any recommendations on an Architect / architectural technician / planning consultant that has experience of this type of project of external outside access ?.
    2) Is it worth requesting a ‘pre-application’ meeting with the planning department or not ?.
    3) Is it important to first establish where the staircase is going to stand, as that affects access and the internal layout of the flat ?.

Thanks.

Sounds like a mad idea to me. I'd forget it IIWY.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Dear JKO, surely someone must have been successful at such a project ?.

Comment

I actually did planning approval drawings for something similar a couple of years ago for a friend.
        (Note - I am not an architect, I'm an engineering designer. But it's simple enough if you follow the Approved Documents).

They were used both at a pre-planning meeting, and later for the full application.

That was the conversion of an outbuilding into upstairs and downstairs flats for rental to contract workers. (We have a lot of contract workers around here).
        There was no internal stairwell but there was an existing external staircase, more of a rusting metal fire escape and totally unsuitable.
        But that did set where the access door was to be.

I'd guess your first stage is to decide where the access opening is going to be, and are the external stairs going to run diagonally up the wall or stick-out. Decide if they are going to be open or enclosed, etc.
        Remember that as you can't go through the other flat then you are also going to have to have external pipes for water/sewage and possibly other utilities.

As long as you/your architect/your builder comply with the Approved Documents, (Document K for stairs), there should be no problems with the planning department on the technical aspects.
        Non-technical aspects, such as objections from neighbours, may be a different matter.
        Just because plans meet building regs doesn't mean that you can build them.

You can find the Approved documents here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...oved-documents
        You will also want to refer to the manual to the building regulations: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/building...oved-documents

TBH in the situation as you describe it with the other flat I'd suspect you may have bigger problems with supplying utilities and wastewater/sewage.
        Plus of course they may object to an external staircase running up their wall.

PS. The one I did the plans for got built with a slightly different external staircase from what I had specified.
        Mine stuck-out along a boundry wall, the one fitted ran diagonally up the side of the building itself (and right across a lower window).
        The builder 'had one left over from another job' (He'd been doing a large holiday park some miles away and I suspect it got 'acquired' from there).
        Because it was different Building Control wouldn't pass it off until it had been modified again (Extra guarding at the top).

Comment

Sorry, that second link jumps to the 'Merged Approved Documents' (you might want that anyway rather than the individual ones) just scroll up a bit for the 'Manual to the Building Regulations.

(I'm not going to edit the links because it would probably go to moderation if I did).

Comment

Nukecad, you have been most helpful.

Which person should I hire in regards to the external stairs and their placement ? and if I do attend pre-planning stage meeting with the Council, will they require plans of the dimensions of the whole project ? (Does a surveyor have to carry out these measurements ).

Comment

It seems that you obviously need help with this potential project.

Whilst my own experience (on more than just that one job) tells you that anyone competent in reading regulations (and drawing plans) can do this - If you don't have that competency yourself then you should be looking for someone local to you to do that.

Most people's first thought would be an architect, but a local building firm may well have the required planning skills.
              There again some building firms may just get an architect to do it and add their cut to the architects fee - if you don't know who you are engaging then you pay your money and take you chance.

If you know someone like me who can do it as a favour/low price then then all well and good, but you don't seem to know anyone like that.
              (Before you ask - NO I AM NOT INTERESTED - I've done a couple of project plannings for a few friends, and charged them for it, but I am not interested in doing it as a business for strangers).

Yes, you need to have at least have some idea of rough measurements and a good idea what you propose for a pre-planning consultation.
              And any drawings of proposed floor plans, proposed services (utilities/wastewater/sewarage) layouts etc. will obviously help.
              If you don't even know if what you are thinking about will fit in the space available then how can you even start?
              Iit would be a pretty useless pre-planning meeting because you would have nothing substantial to talk about.

If you can get rough measurements and put together a rough plan that's enough for a pre-planning discussion.
              But you will need better plans and better details for a formal planning application.

Good luck if you decide to carry on with this, it is possible to do, but you are going to need help and that is going to cost (maybe more than you are prepared to pay).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Planning - Has the Job Stopped
                by Interlaken
                I find in my area that some planning decisions (simple non contentious ones) are taken quite quickly but more complex types that are not particularly beneficial to the community have hung around 2 years or so now for example 22 x 1 bed flats on a small site with no parking or outside space.
                26-11-2021, 10:12 AM
              • Planning - Has the Job Stopped
                by Piffy
                Ia run a small business, my next door neighbour runs a similar business but in a much larger premises, They have a buyer for the site who has made planning application for a totally different use, which if granted will make my business more profitable as my bigger competition will have left.
                They...
                18-11-2021, 13:58 PM
              • Valuation Office not responding
                by Euca1
                Hello

I recently converted a commercial property into 4 new flats. During the construction I contacted the VOA to appeal the non domestic rating and to inform them of a change of use. This was done back in July, I subsequently received an email from an officer who requested further information,...
                22-11-2021, 11:24 AM
              • Reply to Valuation Office not responding
                by Interlaken
                I think you'll find that Covid is the reason one way or another. I find that lots of local gov/gov staff have either resigned/taken redundancy/retired during the last year and they have not been replaced.

It is now nearly 2 years since I tried to get some land I purchased registered in...
                26-11-2021, 09:55 AM
              • Reply to When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?
                by vmart
                What happens if the Lawful Development Certificate is applied for and refused but no enforcement action is taken? Can the Council take enforcement action related to the Lawful Development Certificate years' later or would they still need to take enforcement action based on the original planning app...
                18-11-2021, 20:34 PM
              • When does ignoring planning refusal become lawful?
                by ChrisDennison
                Hi all,

The question is in the title... there‘s a property which had asked for planning consent to replace its windows, this was refused, it went to appeal, the appeal was dismissed by the Inspector. Subsequently the windows were replaced regardless.

I understand there‘s...
                13-11-2021, 21:25 PM
                by Neelix
                Lots of planning departments have decided they can decide when they want and ignore the x weeks guidance.

lazy civil servants ….....
                18-11-2021, 18:09 PM
                by pilman
                Have you looked on the planning web-site to see if comments have been posted that will indicate the matter is still under consideration?
                18-11-2021, 15:27 PM
              • Mobile home planning permission?
                by Tipper
                Hi all,
                My neighbour has recently placed a mobile home in his field where he keeps 3 old horses.
                It’s in a field on the opposite side of the road from his house and garden and we overlook the field too. Bit of an eyesore really!
                Can he just do that without planning permission?...
                25-10-2021, 09:46 AM
              • Reply to Mobile home planning permission?
                by Piffy
                I was once told by a RTPI Planning Inspector that if someone makes a planning application when it is 3 days before the Planning Meeting the applicant can go to the planning office and ask to see the file. When I did this I was able to see "everything" from letters of objection which said...
                17-11-2021, 17:51 PM
              Working...
              X