Loft conversion FH flat in side extension of end-of-terrace house Dagenham

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LondonWoman2021
    Thank you so much Pilman. This is so helpful. I am familiar with the developments for houses.
    We already made the planning applications (me and my neighbour). Waiting for the Council now and for the Solicitor to legalise everything etc.
    I cannot help but wonder if we are allowed 40 m3 each flat or 20 myself and 20 my neighbour since our building is wide as 2 terrace houses from our row (it does not look like a house+extension, it looks like 2 houses).
    I also had a good look around my place and there are quite a few houses with hip to gable on one end of the terrace, while on the other end the roof is slopped, so there is precedent in the area. My loft wouldn't ruin "the look". But those are houses not flats. Thanks a million.

    Leave a comment:

  • pilman
    4. If the Council rejects my application, is there anything else i can do?
    You seem to be aware that a flat has no permitted development rights, so that you will need to make a planning application, which will be decided on local plan policies published by the Local Planning Authority.

    A refusal of an application will allow an appeal to be made to the Planning Inspectorate if the the reasons for refusal, which will be set out in the Decision Notice issued by the LPA, seem contrary to the local plan policies.

    You should read what is permitted development for a loft conversion for a house, which is set out in Schedule 2, Part 1, Class B of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England ) Order 2015.
    Class B – additions etc to the roof of a dwellinghouse
    Permitted development
    B. The enlargement of a dwellinghouse consisting of an addition or alteration to its roof.

    Development not permitted
    B.1 Development is not permitted by Class B if—
    (a) permission to use the dwellinghouse as a dwellinghouse has been granted only by virtue
    of Class M, N, P or Q of Part 3 of this Schedule (changes of use);
    (b) any part of the dwellinghouse would, as a result of the works, exceed the height of the
    highest part of the existing roof;
    (c) any part of the dwellinghouse would, as a result of the works, extend beyond the plane of
    any existing roof slope which forms the principal elevation of the dwellinghouse and
    fronts a highway;
    (d) the cubic content of the resulting roof space would exceed the cubic content of the
    original roof space by more than—
    (i) 40 cubic metres in the case of a terrace house, or
    (ii) 50 cubic metres in any other case;
    (e) it would consist of or include—
    (i) the construction or provision of a verandah, balcony or raised platform, or
    (ii) the installation, alteration or replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe; or
    (f) the dwellinghouse is on article 2(3) land.


    B.2 Development is permitted by Class B subject to the following conditions—
    (a) the materials used in any exterior work must be of a similar appearance to those used in
    the construction of the exterior of the existing dwellinghouse;
    (b) the enlargement must be constructed so that—
    (i) other than in the case of a hip-to-gable enlargement or an enlargement which joins
    the original roof to the roof of a rear or side extension—

    (aa) the eaves of the original roof are maintained or reinstated; and
    (bb) the edge of the enlargement closest to the eaves of the original roof is, so far
    as practicable, not less than 0.2 metres from the eaves, measured along the
    roof slope from the outside edge of the eaves; and
    (ii) other than in the case of an enlargement which joins the original roof to the roof of a
    rear or side extension, no part of the enlargement extends beyond the outside face of
    any external wall of the original dwellinghouse; and
    (c) any window inserted on a wall or roof slope forming a side elevation of the
    dwellinghouse must be—
    (i) obscure-glazed, and
    (ii) non-opening unless the parts of the window which can be opened are more than 1.7
    metres above the floor of the room in which the window is installed.
    Interpretation of Class B

    B.3 For the purposes of Class B, “resulting roof space” means the roof space as enlarged, taking
    into account any enlargement to the original roof space, whether permitted by this Class or not.

    B.4 For the purposes of paragraph B.2(b)(ii), roof tiles, guttering, fascias, barge boards and other
    minor roof details overhanging the external wall of the original dwellinghouse are not to be
    considered part of the enlargement.
    An application that complies with the definitions in that Class of the GPDO is a good starting point, especially if you seek pre-application discussions with the LPA, which will require a fee.

    The Government give planning permission for houses under the GPDO, so using those details as an example for your own application makes sense, although a slightly larger extension can also be applied for depending on the local plan policies that will be what have to be considered in any planning application.

    Your comment about owning the freehold suggests that you own it with another person as tenants in common.
    The other person owning 75% of the Freehold with you owning 25% of the Freehold.

    That means that the two named registered proprietors are the legal owner of the freehold, so both signatures will be needed when any of the leases are amended to include the roof space with each top floor flat.

    Leave a comment:

  • Loft conversion FH flat in side extension of end-of-terrace house Dagenham

    Hello everyone,
    ​​​​​​Im the owner of a top floor flat in a 4-flats end of terrace house in Dagenham. The initial end of terrace house had a 2 storey side extension built 30 yrs ago where my flat is and the flat below. Each flat is one-bedroom. Me and the neighbour on the first floor bought the freehold for the entire building (he for 3 flats, me for my flat). We want to include our lofts in our demise and do loft conversions.
    i cannot find online:
    1. If we can do loft conversion (since this is not a typical block of flats, nor is it a house)
    2. If i can do a loft conversion (because my flat is not part of the initial house, it is part of the 2-storey side extension)
    3. If i can, how big can the dormer be? If i could go all the way to the back of the house, my top floor would be 70 m3, (with the slopped front roof, Hip to gable on the side and dormer at the back)
    4. If the Council rejects my application, is there anything else i can do?

    ​​Please can you point me in the right direction. Thank you very much.

Latest Activity