Loft apartment - only roof windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loft apartment - only roof windows?

Good morning, there is a building I'm considering converting into apartments which already has a converted loft with plenty of roof windows (previously used as offices) but I can't seem to find a clear answer as to whether it's acceptable from a planning perspective to have an apartment with only roof windows.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

I should add, it's the 3rd storey and I'm well aware of the regs in relation to ventilation and means of escape

Comment

I had a planning application turned down about 20 years ago. It was for a basement that only had windows at the top of each exterior wall.

Maybe sound out the planning officer?

Comment

If this is a development under Class O, the Permitted development rights for a change of use from Office use to residential use, it seems that local planning policies will not apply.
        Conditions
        O.2 Development under Class O is permitted subject to the condition that before beginning the development, the developer must apply to the local planning authority for a determination as to whether the prior approval of the authority will be required as to—

(a) transport and highways impacts of the development;

(b) contamination risks on the site; and

(c) flooding risks on the site,
        and the provisions of paragraph W (prior approval) apply in relation to that application.
        No mention of room sizes, or what a loft conversion flat can look like, so it is the building regulations for residential flats that will need to be complied with.

Although parking provision is dealt with under section (a), possible use of asbestos in (b) and risk of flooding for ground floor flats in (c).

Comment

Thanks for your response. It's a D1 class building so not covered by PD for conversion I don't believe. I've now had a response from Salford city council in case anyone else is considering this in the future and finds this thread:

""The Council does not have an explicit policy or guidance with regard to the matter. However, it is required that the physical make-up of habitable rooms within residential accommodation provide a suitable standard of amenity for future occupiers, in accordance with the National Planning Policy Framework and Policy DES7 of the Council’s Unitary Development Plan.

Decisions are made on the basis of the particular circumstances of a case; for example, provision of a third/fourth bedroom within the roofspace of a dwelling, only served by a skylight, may be considered acceptable, as the occupier of any such bedroom would have access to a range of other habitable rooms within the property with suitable outlook. In a case where an entire self-contained unit of accommodation is served only by rooflights, although dependent on the height of the openings above the finished floor level, it is unlikely that the arrangement would be considered to provide a suitable standard of amenity for occupiers with respect to outlook.""

I hope this might help others

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Neighbour fencing off lane
            by Flaming Jo
            Hi All

I'm new here, hoping for some advice.

An "unregistered" laneway runs along the bottom of my property, providing vehicular and/or foot access to about 9 houses. We don't open onto it, but drive into it to turn our car for easier access to our angled driveway....
            09-09-2021, 15:08 PM
          • Reply to Neighbour fencing off lane
            by pilman
            Did you made an application to Land Registry for a Search of the Index map to establish that the lane remains unregistered?

Can you verify from that person's register of title whether there is a right of way granted over the back road for his property?

Someone who takes possession...
            16-09-2021, 14:05 PM
          • Old appurtenant mentioned on LR plan - how to find original?
            by malc_p
            Not sure this is the right forum but here goes...
            At the end of the back garden of our property (we own the freehold) is a car workshop. They have an iron staircase running up the back of their workshop which overhangs our garden to a width of about a meter and is 4 metres or so long.
            Our...
            12-09-2021, 15:56 PM
          • Reply to Old appurtenant mentioned on LR plan - how to find original?
            by pilman
            The first question I would ask would be when did you acquire the freehold of your property?
            The next question is why have you have stated that you own the freehold and that there is a lease plan?
            The third question is have you obtained a copy of the Garage deeds.

The existence...
            16-09-2021, 13:48 PM
          • Reply to 2 way access road
            by Neelix
            How many homes ?
            31-08-2021, 18:20 PM
          • 2 way access road
            by Danzka
            Hi everyone, a developer is trying to build behind us but they only have a very narrow access way about 12.5ft wide or 3.8m and about 125ft or 38m long before it widens out again. Is there any legal requirement for the road to be dual carriageway once it gets to a certain length? Many thanks.
            31-08-2021, 14:06 PM
          • Reptiles bite back
            by Neil2011
            Dear All,

My neighbour has had planning permission refused to build two dwellings in their back garden.They let the garden become overgrown and subsequently the land was identified by the council ecology department as being an optimum environment for great crested newts (GCN's) and several...
            26-08-2021, 18:21 PM
          • Reply to Reptiles bite back
            by royw
            I believe he can unless they found any protected species. Might be time to start breeding them in your own garden ready for reintroduction 😁
            27-08-2021, 12:14 PM
          • Velux in flat & building regs threat
            by MelanieJG
            We own the leasehold of a flat in an isolated old country house coverted into of five flats. We also have a 1/5 share of the freehold and a Director vote in the manageming company.

Hi I wonder if you can help? Some 3 years back we got the okay from the rest of the property to install a...
            24-08-2021, 22:18 PM
          • Reply to Velux in flat & building regs threat
            by jpucng62
            Did you get building regs? From your description it sounds like it should have been signed off by building control. Whether your neighbour can force the issue or not I don't know, but any solicitor worth their salt will be insisting on a building control certificate when you sell so if you haven't got...
            25-08-2021, 07:05 AM
          Working...
          X