Obtaining Planning Application Documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining Planning Application Documents

How do I obtain a copy of a planning application (e.g. application form, drawings, decision notices, constraints etc) which (due to age) is not downloadable on the planning access register?

The planning document I want is from 1988

I emailed the local council and I have had no joy

In my area it is necessary to book an appointment to view the older files that requires use of the micro fiche reader which is located in the viewing area on the ground floor of the council offices.

Normally providing the full address of the property is all that is required to have the filed images made available at the reception desk on the date of the appointment that will be advised by the council.

In 2021 I would have expected that such an appointment could be requested using e-mail.

Comment

Why do you want to view plans from 1988?

Comment

pilman,

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
          Why do you want to view plans from 1988?
          I have an unusually constructed house and want to see whether there are any restrictions in terms of building in the loft or doing an extension

Comment

You would be better off contacting a structural engineer to see if it the property is suitable for conversion, once this is confirmed you can then set about going to planning. The documents you want may not contain the detailed information that you may be looking for.

Comment

Councils (in my opinion) get overloaded with millions of documents and perhaps many files are binned.
              In 1990 my council's planning department was moving into another Town Hall and at the same time moving the planning system onto computers. I had submitted a "time sensitive" planning application and when I went to check on how it was doing they had "lost" the file.
              I suspect that many planning applications from before computerisation may not have been stored on computer.
              You can only try and get a copy.

Comment

Most good local authorities will retain paper records of historical planning applications before everything was digitised. You should be able to book an appointment and request the files relating to your property. I would suggest surveying and examining the building in person with someone competent would be more beneficial for you needs, as already stated any held drawings may not be that accurate in terms of construction detail.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X