Threatened enforcement proceeding

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Threatened enforcement proceeding

    We built a house, conditions were signed off and completion certificate issued. Now local authority say that we breached planning as we did not build a bin store. This was one of the conditions but we did not realise that it was supposed to be built first. House was sold over 2 years ago. What can local authority do and what can we do? Any advice welcome.

    If you no longer own the house an enforcement notice will be served on the current owners.

    if you have a guilty conscience about not erecting a bin store, you can always buy a plastic bin store and gift it to the current owners of the house, although that may depend on what was shown on the plans that were granted planning permission.


      Thanks for your response. Does it make any difference that the completion cert was issued in 2016? We are still on contact with the New owners so If the LA insist it is done, we will probably contact the owners and admit our mistake and explain that we will undertake the work. It has to be brick built. One problem though is that they have created a garden. Feel sick at the thought of this.


      Latest Activity


      • Converting 2 bed to 3
        by Margaret.d
        Two bedroom into 3 bedroom without applying for the permission
        We split master bedroom into 2 bedrooms. We added a window etc... but we never applied for the permission. Now we put the house for sale. The agent said we could only advertise as a 2 bedroom. The price is VERY low. What to...
        10-06-2021, 14:44 PM
      • Reply to Converting 2 bed to 3
        by Section20z
        From the information you have given it sounds like the only issue is the new window. The internal layout and a new stud wall and door is no concern of land registry or planning / building control.
        If it's been there four years then you just need lawful development certificate from council and...
        14-06-2021, 07:27 AM
      • Reply to Converting 2 bed to 3
        by Margaret.d
        Dear Ash 72
        many thanks.much appreciated.
        No conservation area. No wall taken down.
        just additional window installed. Nothing else.
        if I get retrospective approval from building control, would that be enough for advertising as a 3 bed ?
        how quickly the building regularisation...
        14-06-2021, 07:05 AM
      • Obtaining Planning Application Documents
        by Mr. Sparkle
        How do I obtain a copy of a planning application (e.g. application form, drawings, decision notices, constraints etc) which (due to age) is not downloadable on the planning access register?

        The planning document I want is from 1988

        I emailed the local council and I have had...
        08-06-2021, 22:51 PM
      • Reply to Obtaining Planning Application Documents
        by Piffy
        Councils (in my opinion) get overloaded with millions of documents and perhaps many files are binned.
        In 1990 my council's planning department was moving into another Town Hall and at the same time moving the planning system onto computers. I had submitted a "time sensitive" planning...
        12-06-2021, 08:26 AM
      • Leasholder wants to charge me - to change my windows
        by hotmrw
        Hi each and all - I am sure this has been asked before so I will be as brief as possible, I recently bought a cheap flat to renovate, included in the renovation I factored in double glazed windows all round as it has knackered singled glazed windows that are dropping to bits, I lined everything up...
        12-06-2021, 00:57 AM
      • Planning application amendment smell a rat
        by Neil2011
        Dear All,

        A neighbour of mine recently submitted an application to build four town houses and parking for twelve cars in the back gardens of two houses they own. The gardens of the two houses surround another house that is sandwiched between them. Access will be via a single driveway/garage...
        16-05-2021, 18:50 PM
      • Reply to Planning application amendment smell a rat
        by ash72
        Seems like you have a lot of money to throw at this problem if you are considering a legal route, if this is the case have you thought about buying the middle house? This would most likely resolve the issue if they were willing to sell.

        It is usual for an application to be withdrawn especially...
        11-06-2021, 21:37 PM
      • Reply to Obtaining Planning Application Documents
        by ash72
        You would be better off contacting a structural engineer to see if it the property is suitable for conversion, once this is confirmed you can then set about going to planning. The documents you want may not contain the detailed information that you may be looking for.
        11-06-2021, 21:29 PM
      • Reply to Converting 2 bed to 3
        by ash72
        There are many things that may have been breached, for example if the property is in a conservation area, the new window you installed could be intruding into a neighbours line of sight, if the wall you have taken down was a structural wall. You need to go through planning, once approved, go through...
        11-06-2021, 21:25 PM