Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on objecting a planning permission

Hi Experts,

My Neighbour has submitted a planning permission to divide his semi-detached house into one terraced and one semi-detached house, leaving my house as end of terrace.

I have paid a lot to buy my semi-detached house and believe that this will depreciate my house considerably due to over crowding of the site next to my house.

Could you please let me know based on your experiences or any guidance i can read to object the above development?

Many thanks in advance.

You have every right to object.

Near me there is a semi which gained planning permission for a self contained annex (really a seperate dwelling).

planning was granted on the basis it could never be sold as a separate unit. 3 years on from completion the owner has applied a couple of times to make it a seperate dwelling and each time the adjacent property objects and the original property has the planning refused

you are right to be concerned and yes, turning your house from a semi to end of terrace could well have financial consequences

are other neighbours aware of the plans?

Comment

Thanks Neelix, yes other neighbours are aware, my next door also has the same concerns and is going to object. Other than that there are few neighbours who are willing to object but only if council allow anonymously. which i don't think is a possibility?

Are there any pointers on objection. below is what i'm planning

Character of locality (all houses in the road are either semis or detached)
      appearance
      parking problems (there is provision of only one parking + 6 cycle spaces (don't know why??)

Comment

You need to be sure that you object on the grounds that actually have to be considered - things like parking count but not liking it don't! Have a look on the Councils website and it will tell you what grounds will be considered.

We objected to an end of terrace near us having a new house built on at the side. It was refused due to insufficient space & lack of parking so all is not lost - make your objection on the grounds that count and without emotion.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by SB-Landlord View Post
          Are there any pointers on objection. below is what i'm planning

Character of locality (all houses in the road are either semis or detached)
          appearance
          parking problems (there is provision of only one parking + 6 cycle spaces (don't know why??)
          Those are valid grounds and also "over development of the site". Try to get data on examples of parking problems nearby. Check if it's a conservation area or listed building too.
          Ask your local Councillor for assistance.

Comment

You can get your local councillor to "call it in" to planning committee. If you do not it is decided by a single officer. If it gets called in it has to go to planning committee and you are allowed to speak (for 2 mins at my council). Look for previous applications for similar things in your area which have been refused and read why in the officer's report. Then use these points in your objection. You cannot object anonymously. However the names of objectors can be redacted I believe when the objection is published - just ask the council. You will have to do all the work and rally everyone if you want a result - I have done it and it is not easy but with hard work and lots of research it can be done!
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Over the years I've found this very useful, although it's getting more and more out of date
              https://smile.amazon.co.uk/How-Stop-...03/ref=sr_1_13

This is also very useful, but you'd have to read it "backwards" if you get what I mean.
              https://smile.amazon.co.uk/How-Get-P...dp_ob_title_bk
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Can you post a link to the planning application and I will have a look for you, I am a registered architect so may be able to give you some advice on this

Comment

I would ask a Chartered Town Planner for advice and if necessary get him to submit an objection, and do it quickly as I was once told that it only takes 2 weeks for planners to come to decide as to how they are going to treat it. Plus if a RTPI submits an objection they cant ignore it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X