Neighbours building extension and removed our fence without permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    Planning do not get involved - you can obtain planning permission on someone else's land. You tick a box to say you have informed them though! I am almost certain that you would have received notices and that the planning notification would have been strapped to a lamppose outside your propperty. Get onto you council website and find the planning application - that will tell you who was notified.
    I have looked on the planning site, it just says 3 people consulted, but doesn't say who. I don't live at this property, it's a rental so didn't see anything on the lamp post. I am not disputing the planning, as clearly they have it.

I am disputing the fact they have taken my fence down and looks like they have dug where my posts are without our consent and the fact they have taken over our drive which is a bit of a disruption to my tenants without consent.

The planning diagram shows building to the boundary but not past it, so they shouldn't be taking my fence down. They initially wanted to move the shed while they are working on the extension, which was about 5 inches of the fence on our side, because they said otherwise they will lose a few inches of the extension.

It all seems a bit dodgy to be honest.

​​​

Comment

OK - my council always list the addresses notified. Clearly your tenants binned the letters! I agree they are in the wrong entirely by not consulting you.
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        OK - my council always list the addresses notified. Clearly your tenants binned the letters! I agree they are in the wrong entirely by not consulting you.
        Yes possibly the tenants did, nothing we can do about that now, just trying to protect my property now and avoid disruption to my tenants, as they now seem very upset because they know there is a bit of a dispute. I will be annoyed if they leave because of this when their tenancy is up as they have been there for a few years!

Comment

I agree totally and would want to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounce View Post

This is what I thought... But should I have been informed of this? Could this have an affect on my land / property?
            they are NOT allowed to build anything on your land, nor step on it ....

Comment

I have done some digging, the house behind who was sent a letter seems to think the letter said the application was for the house next door to the house that's actually having the extension (not my house but the other side of the neighbours doing the extension).

They have also sent me some photos. If you can see the red x, that is my shed, there was a fence behind it on our boundary which had at least 5 inches clearance between the shed and fence...

It looks as though they have dug on the boundary and a bit of ours as next to the shed looks a bit dug up, but it was slabbed before..

​​​
              Attached Files

Comment

Interesting - did the address / plans on the council website match the address where the work is being done? If not, bingo!

Comment

No the online portal says the correct number...

Comment

Update... I spoke to the builder this morning, he said the neighbour said they had permission and passed the blame onto them... I said they don't have permission and you have broken the law taking things down...

He called me back after speaking to them asking to meet me..

His justification is that if they didn't take my fence down, they wouldn't be able to do the pointing properly and it wouldn't look nice on our side!

Comment

Interesting to hear what happens next?

Comment

He wants to meet me to discuss it.

I said, I shouldn't have to be wasting my time to meet you, as you shouldn't have taken anything from my property down without consent...

I have said I still want it putting back, will still try meet him tomorrow. He wanted me to meet him 1st thing, I said I can't make arrangements at short notice, especially when you are in the wrong...

I think even when meet we will request it put right otherwise continue with legal.
                        ​​​

Comment

Put what's discussed in writing to the builder and home owner ...........

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
                            Put what's discussed in writing to the builder and home owner ...........
                            If your mobile has a recorder nothing to stop you using it to record the conversation.

Comment

Thanks... I used to have an app that can record but seems as though its not possible to do this anymore...

I have put it as a text to both builder and neighbours that they don't have permission for this from me. I have also said to her builder I want it putting back.

​​​But I don't have confidence they will do this until they are ready for it.

I have read some negative review on the builder, they say takes longer than they say to complete and not very good standard of work!

How they can expect my tenants to put up with them on our drive, I don't know! They should be able to work from their side!

Comment

Attended the property today... This morning the neighbour mentioned they can put the fence back up on 19th March due to lockdown... However the builder has no confirmed they will do this 1st...

However it looks as though they have laid their footing already, so they have kind of got their own way...

They have dug right upto my shed, which was 3-5 inches within the boundary.... They state they are going by architects measurements.... However they are clearly wrong as no way they can build on neighbouring property, otherwise everyone will be doing it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X