Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Lines

Hi

I would like to extend my house. I live on a corner plot at the very entrance of the street. I'd like to extend the house to the front and to the side, raise the roof a little and put a suite in the loft.

I've looked at the original conveyance/deeds and there is a building line in front of my house. When I stand looking down my street the houses all look fairly level, ie, no house is substantially protruding forward. I am guessing this is what is meant by a building line? All of our houses have front gardens of about 6 or 7 meters. Ideally I want to extend forward by about a meter. I am pretty certain the side extn is going to be fine, but I am concerned about the building line and also, if I would be allowed to raise the height of the roof.

Who would I need to speak to about these queries? I don't want to risk spending lots of money on drawings, calculations, building regs etc if this is a definite no-no.

Many thanks for advice.
    Claymore

Have an informal chat with a planning officer at your Local Authority.

Comment

Apply for pre planning advice with your own rough drawings??

Comment

Originally posted by andybenw View Post
        Apply for pre planning advice with your own rough drawings??

I didn't even realise this was a possibility. Thank you. Appreciated.

Comment

A pre-planning application is most often a chargeable item in modern times, although fees probably vary between different planning authorities.

Not sure if a rough drawing will suffice, although a simple scale drawing ought to show what you have in mind.

The problem with pre-applications is that they always end with a sentence that this is the officer's opinion and cannot be guaranteed to be the final outcome when a full planning application is made.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X