Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive garage height

Dear All,

The end of my garden backs onto a private access lane. At the bottom of a majority of gardens there are garages that back onto the lane the garages are between 3-3.5 meters in height. This is mirrored on the opposite side of the lane.

The house opposite mine has started to build a garage. I was surprised to see that the beams at the apex where much higher than the existing garages in the lane. Myself or my neighbours do/did not recall receiving any planning notice for comment. When checked the local planning portal I noticed than planning permission had indeed been given for a garage of 5 meters in height. The applicant stated that as he did not know the contact address of neighbours (even though his and my streets are is a terraces) and the application was supported by a newspaper advertisement that invited landowners/neighbours to make written representations to the local council office within 14days. No mention was made of the look and height of the garage or where plans could be viewed. Should myself and other neighbours been aware of the plans we would have objected. The building looks totally out of place and does nothing for the existing rhythm of the gardens.

Is this a correct and lawful protocol for planning permission and is there any recourse?

Hope someone can help,

Many thanks,

Neil

Contact your planning office

Comment

In most areas the A4 yellow notices with tiny print attached to lamp posts etc is the normal way of informing the public of a planning application. Councils can change this format to one of sending out letters to affected properties and some do both as well as advertise in the local press.
      Developers often take the yellow notices down especially if they suspect objections from residents and often council staff don't put the notices in roads where residents are affected.
      Get onto your local planning office and ask where notices were put and when.

This 'garage' does seem high so watch out for it being used as residential property by someone other than the householder.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

During covid our local planning authority have been allowing applicants to erect their own notices (and they don't have to be yellow) so even less chance of them remaining in prominent positions!!

Comment

I think that is disgraceful. I help run a community forum that polices planning app notices stringently...amongst other things.

Comment

Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. After talking to the planning office it appears that three neighbours did receive notice via post back in 2019. They did not think it necessary to check the height mentioned in the plans .I find it strange that I did not even though I am obviously affected.

Looking again at the officers report it is stated that the construction is not visible from any public roads. It is!

The planning office have said that they fulfilled all obligations and that it is within my rights to complain.

Is there any legal way forward I can take?

Thanks again,

Neil

Comment

Take photos and write to the Chief Planning Officer giving full details and say why you are unsatisfied at the lack of consultation and the outcome. If you don't get satisfaction write to the Planning Inspectorate - find out where yours is. If you win your case the council have to pay to have the height reduced. I suspect there is another reason why this person wants a garage that height and it is not for storing a car or diy stuff in.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X