Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 year Old Loft Conversion - No Building Control Compliance

Hoping for a bit of advice.

My son has found a great house to buy for himself. It has a loft conversion with a bedroom and wc, done 'about 25yrs ago', with no building control compliance. It is not being marketed as a bedroom because of this, but what I need to understand is whether there is the possibility of any comeback with Building Compliance or is there a sort of Statute of Limitations on this sort of thing? I don't want him to buy a problem.

Thanks.

The Limitation Act 1980 sets out periods in which action can be taken to sue.

For land that period is 12 years, although for most other claims it is 6 years.

Personally I would not bother about a development completed 25 years ago if no action has been taken in that extremely lengthy period of time.

Comment

Thanks for that clarification!

Comment

We brought something similar and got the seller to get a simple indemnity policy, cost was minimal (less than £200 and the seller paid).

The wider concern is the safety of the loft conversion, the building regs are there for safety (mostly in case of a fire, escape routes etc) so you might wish to consider ‘upgrading’ the loft conversion to meet the regs anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
          The wider concern is the safety of the loft conversion, the building regs are there for safety (mostly in case of a fire, escape routes etc) so you might wish to consider ‘upgrading’ the loft conversion to meet the regs anyway.
          That is also my concern, particularly as there have been other structural alterations - I think I will steer them away. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Picket fence
            by toulon
            I want to turf my lawn, plant shrubs and erect a 500 mm high wooden picket fence.
            I have been shielding due to health issues and tenants who rent in adjacent properties let their dogs foul on my lawn.
            I want to use the garden safely, its part of my leasehold and deed. The lease says...
            22-01-2021, 14:34 PM
          • Reply to Picket fence
            by theartfullodger
            Front or back lawn? Or both?

Councils may have guidance on height of fences in different areas...
            22-01-2021, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to Picket fence
            by Jon66
            Why not ask the freeholders permission? That would seem the most pragmatic solution....
            22-01-2021, 14:42 PM
          • Reply to Add a porch
            by Echoes
            Does this apply to conservatory or orangery at the back of the house as well? Do we need some kind of permission or certificate before/after the development if its not affecting any of your neighbours? Thanks
            21-01-2021, 18:13 PM
          • Add a porch
            by Arvid Li
            I want to add a porch to external door of my house
            Do I need to request for inspection the Porch (the Porch is under exempt from building regulation approval) by Building Control Surveyor?
            If yes, could you advice me the procedure of request for inspection, Many Thanks
            12-01-2021, 08:34 AM
          • Reply to Excessive garage height
            by Interlaken
            Take photos and write to the Chief Planning Officer giving full details and say why you are unsatisfied at the lack of consultation and the outcome. If you don't get satisfaction write to the Planning Inspectorate - find out where yours is. If you win your case the council have to pay to have the...
            21-01-2021, 17:25 PM
          • Excessive garage height
            by Neil2011
            Dear All,

The end of my garden backs onto a private access lane. At the bottom of a majority of gardens there are garages that back onto the lane the garages are between 3-3.5 meters in height. This is mirrored on the opposite side of the lane.

The house opposite mine...
            21-01-2021, 08:35 AM
            by Neil2011
            Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. After talking to the planning office it appears that three neighbours did receive notice via post back in 2019. They did not think it necessary to check the height mentioned in the plans .I find it strange that I did not even though I am obviously...
            21-01-2021, 12:09 PM
            by Interlaken
            I think that is disgraceful. I help run a community forum that polices planning app notices stringently...amongst other things.
            21-01-2021, 11:27 AM
          • Reply to Neighbour wants to use my planned extension to build double story extension.
            by Lawcruncher
            Your lease includes the garden. Unless the lease provides otherwise, this will include all the airspace over the ground. Accordingly, you have complete control over the airspace which will be above the proposed extension.
            21-01-2021, 10:08 AM
          Working...
          X