Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure Shed on Land Between Buildings

I own and live in a leasehold flat. I’m looking at getting a new motorbike and although I can use bike covers and stuff but I would like something more substantial to protect it. Between the building my flat is a part of and the building next door is a section of land which is gated off at one end and fenced off from the street at the other. Looking at the land registry documents I have it looks like this land is part of the freehold for the building my flat is a part of and that it was once an access path that has been given up as access. Currently the land is becoming over grown and isn’t used for anything and I would like to erect a temporary metal shed (such as an Asgard shed) on this land and generally give the land some TLC and maintenance to make it look somewhat nicer. I also live in a conservation area so I understand I would need to consult the local planning department anyway but how and who would I go about asking for permission to use this land for this purpose?

Forget planning department, just ask freeholder, or just do it and take the risk you might be asked to move it later

Comment

When you contact the freeholder ask if you can have a license to use the land and locate a small bike storage shed on it, That may be something that can be settled quite quickly if you agree to pays a small sum of money for a licence.
      Asking that this land be added to an existing Lease agreement is probably more costly and not likely to be well received.

The previous responder also puts forward a possible alternative. " just do it and take the risk" especially if this type of shed can easily be moved.

Comment

Not answering your question, but just to say I have 2 Asgard sheds and also advised purchase of one for a local sports club. They are great sheds. They go together easily, they are very secure, and they can be taken down, moved and rebuilt in an hour (at least the cycle sheds can).

So if you do decide to site a shed - Good choice to go for.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Picket fence
          by theartfullodger
          Front or back lawn? Or both?

Councils may have guidance on height of fences in different areas...
          22-01-2021, 15:12 PM
        • Picket fence
          by toulon
          I want to turf my lawn, plant shrubs and erect a 500 mm high wooden picket fence.
          I have been shielding due to health issues and tenants who rent in adjacent properties let their dogs foul on my lawn.
          I want to use the garden safely, its part of my leasehold and deed. The lease says...
          22-01-2021, 14:34 PM
        • Reply to Picket fence
          by Jon66
          Why not ask the freeholders permission? That would seem the most pragmatic solution....
          22-01-2021, 14:42 PM
        • Add a porch
          by Arvid Li
          I want to add a porch to external door of my house
          Do I need to request for inspection the Porch (the Porch is under exempt from building regulation approval) by Building Control Surveyor?
          If yes, could you advice me the procedure of request for inspection, Many Thanks
          12-01-2021, 08:34 AM
        • Reply to Add a porch
          by Echoes
          Does this apply to conservatory or orangery at the back of the house as well? Do we need some kind of permission or certificate before/after the development if its not affecting any of your neighbours? Thanks
          21-01-2021, 18:13 PM
        • Excessive garage height
          by Neil2011
          Dear All,

The end of my garden backs onto a private access lane. At the bottom of a majority of gardens there are garages that back onto the lane the garages are between 3-3.5 meters in height. This is mirrored on the opposite side of the lane.

The house opposite mine...
          21-01-2021, 08:35 AM
        • Reply to Excessive garage height
          by Interlaken
          Take photos and write to the Chief Planning Officer giving full details and say why you are unsatisfied at the lack of consultation and the outcome. If you don't get satisfaction write to the Planning Inspectorate - find out where yours is. If you win your case the council have to pay to have the...
          21-01-2021, 17:25 PM
          by Neil2011
          Dear All,

Many thanks for your replies. After talking to the planning office it appears that three neighbours did receive notice via post back in 2019. They did not think it necessary to check the height mentioned in the plans .I find it strange that I did not even though I am obviously...
          21-01-2021, 12:09 PM
          by Interlaken
          I think that is disgraceful. I help run a community forum that polices planning app notices stringently...amongst other things.
          21-01-2021, 11:27 AM
        • Reply to Neighbour wants to use my planned extension to build double story extension.
          by Lawcruncher
          Your lease includes the garden. Unless the lease provides otherwise, this will include all the airspace over the ground. Accordingly, you have complete control over the airspace which will be above the proposed extension.
          21-01-2021, 10:08 AM
        Working...
        X