Accesses on private driveway and planning permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accesses on private driveway and planning permission

If I have granted a right of access to a neighbours garage from my driveway, could I apply for planning permission for 5 new dwellings all with accesses from the private road which would not be adopted? I’m really asking if there can be 6 accesses or whether the garage counts as a dwelling?

could I apply for planning permission for 5 new dwellings all with accesses from the private road which would not be adopted?
    The obvious answer is that you can apply for planning permission for anything, but whether that would be granted is a separate question.

Some local planning authorities rely on advice from the Highways Department that a private road can only provide access for 5 dwellings, although planning was granted for a development of 7 dwellings that I had applied for on a backland site.

It would be sensible to seek pre-applicatio0n advice from your local planning authority, because obtaining planning for 5 dwellings is probably more profitable than obtaining planning for 4 dwellings.

Sometimes it is the width of the private road that will be most relevant.
    4.2 meters is sufficient width that two cars can pass each other.
    4.5 metres allows a car and a lorry to pass, with both those roads set out as a shared pedestrian road using block pavers as the surface material.

Much will depend on local plan policies in your area.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I’m not sure if I’ve asked the right question....so if the Highways and / or LPA stated that the maximum dwellings on a private road is 5, would the garage access count as one of the 5?

Comment

A garage is not a dwelling even though a single car would be driven to it.
        It would seem that the width of the road would be the main factor when the LPA needs to consider a planning application of the type being described here.

There is also the question of a visibility splay should more than one house be permitted and a requirement that at least the part of the private road with a junction to the public highway having to be 4.5 metres wide for a short distance from the junction to allow passing traffic when someone wants to drive into the site when another vehicle is exiting the site.

Those are often Highway requirements, as well as a way that all traffic can manoeuvre within the site in order to leave the site in a forward direction.
        Your architect will probably advise you on the requirements for traffic movements within a small residential site based on local knowledge of your area.

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m hoping that everything will be in order for a successful application.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X