Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converted Flat - Planning Permission

Hi,

I am looking to buy a leasehold top floor maisonette. The current lay out it’s a bit weird so I’m looking to move the kitchen next to the living room and knock down a wall to make kitchen-living room as an open space. Do I need planning permission and am I allowed to change layouts with a Leasehold flat? Thanks

It is common for a lease to have clause requiring consent for alterations. These can be quite prescriptive, some general and some partial eg limited to only structural alterations.

The exact implications can only be established once you have seen the wording of this lease.

While they cannot unreasonably refuse consent, it is often reasonable to refuse consent to relocate a wet room ( a bathroom) over a dry room such as a living room, or have a living room over a bedroom.

Depending on the lease you should allow at least 3 - 4 weeks to get consent before starting the work and will be responsible for the landlord's legal costs and surveyors costs in approving the works and inspecting to see that you have complied with them.

Some landlords are quite fussy and some might not even reply!

Comment

Understood, thanks for the reply.

Comment

planning permission not required (assuming no external changes).
        listed building consent would be required if grade 2 listed

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X