Landlord doing building work past 8pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord doing building work past 8pm

Me and my partner live in a two bedroom flat above a soon to be off licence, recently the landlord has hired people to start work on the shop, they will start at about 2pm and won’t finish till after 8.30 in the evening, i really don’t think they should be allowed to be hammering and drilling at this time of night, is there a law that my landlord is breaking? I’m going crazy with all the noise! Also she never informed us that all this noisy work would be happening, she’s in Greece now (convenient) and no way to get hold of her.
    First post btw! Thanks guys!

given this is a business standard construction hours can be enforced, if this was a homeowner there are no legal restrictions.

Excess noise though by any homeowner can any jumped on by the council.

You are best placed speaking to the team doing the work and asking them how long they will be until completion, then make a decision but compaints to the council will only ruin any relationship you have with the landlord.

While you think the landlord is being unfair if the work needs doing and the team is only available during those hours then it needs to be done are they doing it sundays also?

At least it's an off-license and not a take-away when you would have smells and extractors humming through to the early hours for ever more until you moved out.

Ask yourself is your rent fair, is the place well maintained is everything else ok., if so I would not worry to much about it.

What was the shop, building before you moved in, if it was empty, boarded up then it would have been up to you to ask what the plans were for it.

Ask yourself what if you had a flat next to you with someone that worked 9-5 and then did diy 6pm till midnight as they don't have any other time.

Try and look at the good things and ignore the negatives especially when likely to be short lived

Flat is the easiest place to be impacted by noise,

All the best

Comment

Without knowing what council it's impossible to say, but nearly all, ban Sunday working. The hours are usually restricted to 7.30 am to 8pm M to F and some ban Saturday afternoon working. The Control of Pollution Act 1974 gives your local council the power to limit hours of work to control noise pollution around residential properties. Check on their website. As pp said, you could end up on the wrong side of the landlord, however if you go through the council they will not normally disclose the name/address of the complainant, indeed you could ask them to withold the details just to make sure.

Comment

8 PM or 9 PM is the usual council specified cut off point for commercial building work, no doubt they would be working until later if it wasn't.

And It's not that unusual for shop refurbishments to take place overnight/all night if the council allow it, to avoid disrupting the shop trading hours.
        (Our local large chain bakers shop was recently done over 3 nights, new ovens/kitchen one night, new counters/shelves the next, new flooring, signage, windows and door the next. They kept trading during the days throughout).

Shop owners want refurbs done as quickly as possible to get/keep trading, so the builders are unlikely to be there for long.

As suggested ask the builders how long the work will be going on for, and go from there.
        Try not to complain to the builders, they are only doing their job, just ask how long the work is going to take overall.

Comment

Stew Yes they are doing work on Sunday too, drilling and hammering as we speak

Comment

What hours do your local authority restrict building work to? Have you checked their website?

Comment

Have you spoken to them and asked how long the job is expected to take?

All the best

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X