Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving soil pipes regulations

Hello,
    i am looking into refurbishment of a fairly New build flat .
    The soil pipes run through my flat in awkward places, like shoulder height . I would like to move them so they are not so awkwardly placed. Does anyone has experience on this? Can it be moved outside the flat or are there restrictions ? Thank you

Forget it IIWY. Presumably they're boxed in, aren't they? Just make it into a feature to use as a shelf or something similar.

Comment

Are you meaning sewage or foul water pipes?

Any alteration to soil pipes will need to be in accordance with 'Approved Document H'.
      https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...oved_documents

Work carried out, especially to sewage disposal, will need to be inspected and passed off by the councils building regulation team before use.

Before that you will need leasholder/landlord permission to make changes.

Are these soil pipes coming from other flats?
      If so what provision will you make for them during the works?

Comment

Yes sewage pipes . They are coming from the flat above . I am sure we can work provisions out for the above flats.
        its just shocking how badly they have done it. They are just out inside the property , sticking out not only from the ceiling down but on the side of the wall at shoulder height running horizontally . I am redoing everything so just wondering if that will be do-able. Thank you for your help.

Comment

If they are truly "Running Horizontally" then they do not comply with building regulations, I suspect that in fact they have a fall (slope).

Pipes do sometimes have to run through adjoining flats, depending on the layout of the flats.
          (Although sometimes it's simply been done to save construction costs).

As suggested the easiest/cheapest fix would be to simply box them in.
          (I suspect that the building inspector thought that boxing in was going to happen after he had inspected them, but they have to be laid bare for the inspection).

Re-routing is going to be costly and may take weeks, possibly leaving your neighbour without a working toilet for that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger carter View Post
            Yes sewage pipes . They are coming from the flat above .

iI am redoing everything so just wondering if that will be do-able.
            Has your Freeholder seen your plans, and given you permission to do this work?

Comment

Freeholder hasn’t see the plan yet . Just enquiring. It’s such a bother those pipes and they actually take extremely valuable space. I would be happy to pay quite a bit to get them moved as it would mean that space can be used for a shower which can’t be as it is...

Comment

You need to find out if your Freeholder will allow you to do the work, and how much you would have to pay to get that permission.

Comment

Just build some timber & plasterboard shelves on that wall. Make them thick, so that you can hide the pipes in a couple.

Comment

Yeah so In that corner , I would have loved to put a shower. If the pipes can’t be moved then I guess that’s a no...

Comment

That looks unfinished new build, or have you stripped the walls etc.?.

I'm wondering if the alcove (looks like an alcove, hard to tell from the photo) was meant to be boxed-off, maybe with an access door/hatch to get to the pipes if needed?

What does the corresponding corner look like in the flat above where the pipes go up through your ceiling?

Comment

Those may actually present a risk of spreading fire between flats unless properly boxed in with fire resistant material!

Get a building inspector to check them out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X